Brand of Ketchup

Ben K

I have heard that some prefer one brand over another. For instance one bbq book author chooses Hunts over Heinz ketchup. Whats best for making bbq sauses and glazes.

When I purchase ketchup, the first thing I look at are the ingredients. I make sure corn syrup or high fructose corn syrup are not listed. Then I go look at the price of the organic version. If there isn't much of a difference, then I'll buy the organic. For some reason I find organic ketchup infinitely better than its nonorganic counterpart.

With big name brands, this basically excludes Heinz and Hunt's, who both list the above mentioned ingedients in their ketchup. So I believe that leaves Del Monte and a number of other smaller companies who skip the syrup.

Erik

I grew up on Heinz. I don't care for others especially if they actually taste like tomatoe.
icon_smile.gif

Hunts has won some taste tests on the pbs saturday cooking show-I forget the name but they do taste tests on every show...Heinz seems to be most available in the discount places...intruth they do not taste like tomato. Hence, that is why I have been developing a sauce with crushed tomatoes....

Steve,

It may just be a matter of personal taste to me, but Heinz seems to taste better so it is my preference.

Ray

Ben I'll suggest buying a few and go with one you like to start with.

I'd start with one that isn't too strong in any particular flavor ... like ketchup with woos or tabasco or horseradish in it ... keep your base fairly neutral.

Less sugar sounds like a good idea to me. That way you sweeten to your own taste.

I've used tomatoe paste and some liquid where a sauce recipe calls for ketchup and that seems to work alright. Adjust the sweetness and salt levels to preference.

I'm interested in fruit sauces and getting away from standard tomatoe. I posted this one a while back I really enjoyed. It's 50/50 fruit and ketchup.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Erik G:

With big name brands, this basically excludes Heinz and Hunt's, who both list the above mentioned ingedients in their ketchup. So I believe that leaves Del Monte and a number of other smaller companies who skip the syrup.

Erik </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I was at the grocery store yesterday and del monte does have corn syrup. I haven't looked at organic ketchup though

Ben

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Ben K:
I was at the grocery store yesterday and del monte does have corn syrup. I haven't looked at organic ketchup though

Ben </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Sorry Ben, there's one large company that makes it without corn syrup, can't remember which one. Did you look at the other brands?

Erik

I don't eat the stuff, shudder at the thought of it. Anywho what's wrong with corn syrup, I don't get it? Karo corn syrup is good stuff Man! As far as ketchup goes, Mom is a big DelMonte fan. Hellmann's on my fries please.
icon_biggrin.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by J Rector:
Heinz fans over here. I agree with Bryan on the hellmans .Especially if it has roasted garlic in it. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Mayo is great on fries, especially twice-fried Belgian fries or Frites.
In the Netherlands, they use a thicker, seasoned mayo. The Japanese "kewpie" brand of mayo comes very close for the base material, and is much better for this than Hellmans IMHO. You might just add some garlic powder to that. Or you could make your own mayonnaise.

Why everyone likes ketchup -

----------
Ketchup Pushes All the Primal Buttons

The human palate consists of five known palatable senses; salty, sweet, sour, bitter and umami. “Umami is the protein-y, full-bodied taste of chicken soup, or cured meat, or fish stock, or aged cheese, or mother's milk, or soy sauce, or mushroom, or seaweed, or cooked tomato.” It is an ingredient which when added to a dish gives it a “sensory heft” according to Gary Beauchamp, who heads the Monell Chemical Senses Center in Philadelphia. Ketchup begins at the tip of tongue, where our receptors for sweet and salty are, move to the sides of the tongue, where the sour notes are received and then reach the back of the tongue with the bitter, and umami flavor being detected. What a taste experience. No wonder we are hooked.
----------------

From - Little Known Facts About Ketchup

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by timothy:
I grew up on Brooks Rich and Tangy ketchup.
</div></BLOCKQUOTE>
As did I (born in 62526). There wasn't any other ketchup I would have considered putting on my scrambled eggs.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Bryan S:
Anywho what's wrong with corn syrup, I don't get it? Karo corn syrup is good stuff Man!
icon_biggrin.gif
</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

It & bottled water have been targeted by special interest groups as bad for the enviroment/people.

As far as ketchup goes, if you have not made it from scratch you have not really tried ketchup. I made one version from Paul Kirk's book on BBQ sauces and it was outstanding. All of the individual flavors really pop out, it's like night and day compared to the store bought stuff.

Back