Brand new WSM owner - a few questions

B Fletcher

I just recently got my first smoker for my bithday (18.5 WSM), and had my first cook last week. I made the Basic Baby Back recipe from this site, and my wife said that they were hands down the best ribs she had ever had! She now wants me to cook the Thanksgiving turkey, and I have decided to make a test turkey this weekend.

That being said, I have a couple of questions (some about the turkey, some in general):

-Most recipes say that to get the temp to 325-350, the water pan should be empty. I have seen recipes that say you can put a pan below your turkey with some chicken stock, veg, and giblets to catch the drippings to make gravy. Wouldn't this function as a water pan and drop the temp? Would I be better just putting an empty aluminum pan under the turkey to just catch the drippings?

-Is it worth it to replace the water pan with the Brinkmann one? Is it only necessary for longer cooks that require more charcoal?

-I was taught never to cook over unlit charcoal, but it seems like that is a common method with the WSM. Does adding unlit to lit charcoal cause an off flavor, or is that just a myth? (I used regular Kingsford on my one and only cook)

-for a 15 lb bird, how much charcoal would you use and what method of lighting (all lit, Minion, etc.)

Thanks for any and all help. I have been reading the message board for about a week now and the information that you guys provide has been very enlightening. This may become a real obsession...

Most of your answers can be found in the various threads in this forum, but here's my two cents:

1. I don't think an aluminum pan with a small amount of chicken stock and drippings would have any affect on your temps since the liquid volume is much less than a full or even half full water pan. You'll want to use an empty water pan or clay saucer for a heat shield between the lit coals and your bird so you don't scorch things.

2. I initially swapped out the stock water pan with the Brinkmann charcoal pan (charcoal pan not water pan). Regardless of your length of cook, the Brinkmann pan is shallower than the Weber pan so you can add charcoal or smoke wood much more easily. It also takes less foil to cover the Brinkmann pan if that's something you do. Since I use a Stoker, I don't use a water pan at all anymore, just the foiled clay saucer. It works great to keep temps stable and cleanup is much easier.

3. I use the Minion method almost exclusively regardless of the length of cook and have never found an off flavor.

4. Not sure about your last question but I'm sure you can get some answers from the forum and recipes on the main VWB page.

Good luck. Oh, and it will become an obsession. No doubt.

Leave the water pan empty.

I used a pyrex square baking dish to catch the drippings (put it on middle rack directly under bird). It'll turn black from the smoke but cleans up nicely.

Neither will reduce temps.

Minion method. Use a grate-full of briquettes. Although the cooking time is shorter due to the 325o, it'll use more fuel at these higher temps. Much more comforting to know you won't run out and have to refill it mid-cook. You DON'T do it at 225, you want higher heat to get the skin done (otherwise, it's only good for Bridgestone use--ie making tires. It's very rubbery and uneatable when done at lower temps).

As far as the bird itself, go with the marinating method HERE

I found that it produced wonderfully moist meat (although it tends to taste somewhat like ham).

Last edited:
Minion method. Use a grate-full of briquettes.

Can you clarify how much you mean by a "grate-full?" Still getting caught up on some of the lingo. Thanks for your help!

Minion method. Use a grate-full of briquettes.

Can you clarify how much you mean by a "grate-full?" Still getting caught up on some of the lingo. Thanks for your help!

Fill the charcoal ring. Put as much in there as you can and even a little bit above the ring. You don't want to have to refuel during the cook.

Also, make sure you look at the turkey section of this forum. A lot of good information there for that perfect Thanksgiving turkey.

Congrats on the new smoker. I recommend installing genie garage door handles on the mid section in the bolt pattern for the racks. This will make it easier to lift the mid section when required. This simple mod has come in very handy for me.

I think the others above have you covered on your cook questions.:wsm:

Back