Brand new Weber Genesis II worked twice, and then doesn't work at all! Stumped...

Richard Yoo

Dear Weber fanatics!

I hope I can get some help here, as I am a bit in a pickle...

I bought a beautiful BRAND NEW Weber Genisis II, Stainless, Propane grill, two weeks ago. I have only been able to successfully grill twice. At first I realized I needed to open the tank very slowly in order to not trip the regulator. After two grilling sessions, it NO LONGER WORKS!

I replaced the regulator. Same thing. I replaced the propane tank itself... Same thing.

The ignitor works, there is a spark that is visible. None of the burners light, the side burner does not light. It is as if there is no propane to the entire grill.

Swapped out regulator, swapped out propane tank. Same thing.

I am really trying to avoid bringing this back to the store... any suggestions on how to fix? What could it be? A clogged line?

Thank you!!!!

Richard

Brand new grill? Call Weber. You should not spend your money on parts when it's under warranty. Their customer service has been very helpful to me. You may have to keep trying to get through because they are working remotely due to the pandemic.

I was assuming Weber was sending him the replacement parts. It seems you have covered all the bases and with a new grill, I would bite the bullet and take it back. Then grab a new one. I think they are starting to put them on sale now as well.

How are you shutting the grill down when it does work? Many people mistakenly think they should turn the gas off first then the controls. Always only turn the controls off then the tank if you're so inclined.
For now. Take everything off. Be sure tank valve is shut. Now reconnect the tank. Be sure you're not cross threading the QCC1 nut (large plastic thing connecting the tank to the grill). It needs to be pretty tight to get the pressure valve inside. Now VERY VERY S L O W L Y open the tank valve. Wait about 20 seconds or so. Then open ONE burner valve to high and light. The grill should then light off

How are you shutting the grill down when it does work? Many people mistakenly think they should turn the gas off first then the controls. Always only turn the controls off then the tank if you're so inclined.
For now. Take everything off. Be sure tank valve is shut. Now reconnect the tank. Be sure you're not cross threading the QCC1 nut (large plastic thing connecting the tank to the grill). It needs to be pretty tight to get the pressure valve inside. Now VERY VERY S L O W L Y open the tank valve. Wait about 20 seconds or so. Then open ONE burner valve to high and light. The grill should then light off

I always turn off the tank first, then the controls. Why is this the wrong way?

Better to turn off the grill first, then the tank. THat way it keeps pressure in the line which helps prevent the OPD/regulator from detecting a sudden rush of propane into the line as a leak, thereby cutting flow of propane to the burners.

Better to turn off the grill first, then the tank. THat way it keeps pressure in the line which helps prevent the OPD/regulator from detecting a sudden rush of propane into the line as a leak, thereby cutting flow of propane to the burners.

Interesting. I always turn the tank, then the controls and have never had this issue. Opening the controls first, then the tank - have seen what you describe.

I always turn off the tank first, then the controls. Why is this the wrong way?
Bingo you're your own worst enemy there. Turing the tank off first leaves a huge void in the lines. Then next time it's turned on the safety valve sees a HUGE gulp of gas going by and trips. Frankly I never turn the bottle off anyway but if you're going to it's controls off first then tank. When you restart it's the opposite

Bingo you're your own worst enemy there. Turing the tank off first leaves a huge void in the lines. Then next time it's turned on the safety valve sees a HUGE gulp of gas going by and trips. Frankly I never turn the bottle off anyway but if you're going to it's controls off first then tank. When you restart it's the opposite

Wait, what? You turn on controls before tank? Doesn’t that cause the regulator to go into bypass?

No you do the opposite. Shutting down it's controls off the tank, turning on the opposite tank on then controls

That's what I told him. Though me personally..................I see no reason to shut off the tank unless I am putting the grill in my garage.

Had a grill that I bought to flip. Followed the correct procedure but every time I went to light it and turned on the tank valve and "clink" the safety valve would stop the flow. Thought it might be a bad regulator, nope was a very small leak in one of the control valves allowing the line to bleed down. Fixed the valve and fixed the problem.
Another good reason to shut the tank valve also.

That's what I told him.
I know. He wasn’t listening to you or Bruce. Hopefully, he will listen to Weber.

It’s like there’s an epidemic of not listening to experts, or even people that just know more. You told me not to hit an aluminum firebox with a hammer. I didn’t need a PhD dissertation in metallurgy, I just didn’t hit my firebox with a hammer.

I know. He wasn’t listening to you or Bruce. Hopefully, he will listen to Weber.

It’s like there’s an epidemic of not listening to experts, or even people that just know more. You told me not to hit an aluminum firebox with a hammer. I didn’t need a PhD dissertation in metallurgy, I just didn’t hit my firebox with a hammer.
Yeah a lot of this starting with my kids. They can't seem to figure it out. #2 daughter for example. Running around with a totally useless waste of oxygen. She doesn't listen. So you do the best you can. Hoping I can gently guide her into seeing for herself what a useless turd she's got.

I hit cook boxes with hammers all the time when the side bolt gets frozen into it....lol.

I used to as well with the full knowledge that cast aluminum that has been through so many heating/cooling cycles, weathered and so on becomes VERY brittle, until I did one more time and kapow. Shards all over the place like glass LOL

Back