Brand New Damper Design - "The Micro Damper"

Either that or the servo is jammed up and takes so much 5V power turn the damper that it browns out the HeaterMeater / Pi. Try it without the top damper disc (just the servo gear sticking up) on and see if you get the same thing. If you do, then you almost certainly have a fault in your wiring. If it works without the disc then it needs too much torque to turn and is killing the power.

oh, wiring it prob messed up, it's doing this with no cap, hell, the electronics arent even in the body and it's doing it, dont know what could be wrong, all wires are isolated, soldered, heat shrink, and the microdamper works... so :confused:

If it causes your HM to crash, it is most likely that you have short somewhere, or like Bryan said your servo is jammed up - BUT, I check every servo for functionality before they are shipped out so I doubt that's your problem.

Announcement for the shop: I just lost stock of servos and I'm going to be leaving town for a week in a couple days so I'm going to take the webstore offline until I return to town.

Does anyone know how long of a 1" length of pipe I would need for a large Big Green Egg? I have all the parts to the damper printed and the fan and servo. Thanks for any info!

Thank you Bryan, I had thought I needed to move the damper much further away from the heat, but closer mounted makes for a much neater install.

I had a couple of working R/C servos sitting around and decided to use one for the microdamper. Trouble is I cannot get the servo to fit into the servo housing far enough to get the gear to connect with the plastic actuator on the top of the servo housing. Am I missing something? The servo I am using is a standard 12gram servo. I have several, some with metal gears and some with plastic gears. I have posted a picture of the housing with the servo bottomed out in the underside. Thanks for any help!

IMAG1103.jpg

What brand servo? I'm pretty sure the MicroDamper was designed for the TowerPro servos. All servos tend to vary in their dimensions a bit. It's a bit difficult to design a "one size fits all" scenario.

Thanks for the reply, I will look at the dimensions of the TowerPro servos and see if they are taller than the ones that I have.

Yeah it should be flush, the height of the round tip of the servo should match the height of the MicroDamper spot it inserts into. The SG90 servo I think is the right size, the MG90 has a taller tip and sticks up too far IIRC.

I was able to fabricate a very nice plate for my Egg using two small pieces of what I would assume is metal roof flashing that I bought from Home Depot. A 1 1/4" hole saw drilled though both pieces and the nipple threaded into the plate. I used two lock nuts to sandwich the plate to the nipple. I ordered two TowerPro SG90 servos, I never could find dimensions but they are cheap enough to take a chance that the top of them will stick up farther in the servo housing.

After receiving the TowerPro servo, I have discovered the damper print is not correct since the new ones fit the same as the servo I already tried. I did a little dremel tool work to see if I could make it fit, but to no avail. I hate to ask my friend, (old boss!) to print another part for me since he did the first one free. Steve has no prints on his store for sale now. Any idea when he will have some more? Or if it will be a long time, anyone here willing to sell me a print that will work? Thanks!

Lots of us are able to sell prints, there is a thread about selling / trading... his one of us up and you can get some printed parts

I asked my old boss to reprint the servo housing and top. I'll see if those parts work. If not, then I may try one of the forum members to buy some parts from.

Are you printing the SG90 or MG90 parts? The MG90 parts are taller so if that's what you're printing then that would be why they are always too big.

Hey all. I just built both the Heatermeter and the Microdamper this morning, however I'm having a little bit of trouble. The fan works as designed, but the servo just spins in circles when called to move. I've checked the wiring several times to look for a short, but everything is connected per the diagrams and there isn't any cross connections. The servo I'm using is a TowerPro SG90 from Mouser. Any thoughts? Thanks!

Hey all. I just built both the Heatermeter and the Microdamper this morning, however I'm having a little bit of trouble. The fan works as designed, but the servo just spins in circles when called to move. I've checked the wiring several times to look for a short, but everything is connected per the diagrams and there isn't any cross connections. The servo I'm using is a TowerPro SG90 from Mouser. Any thoughts? Thanks!
Nevermind, I think I figured out what I did wrong. I bought the SG90 from Mouser, and all they have in stock is the 360 degree version, which will not work with the Heatermeter, unless you want a useless spinning servo!

Back