Brake Cleaner Do's and Don'ts?

John-NY

TVWBB Pro
This is really for @LMichaels but rather than send a direct message, I figured others can benefit from my random questions too.

I read the Sticky Thread for the consolidated "How to..." for refurbishing a grill.

You mentioned using Brake Cleaner on different parts.
My confusion is where exactly it can be used vs can't be used.

This is in the context of a Genesis 1000, but I guess could be for anything, really.

On the Hood, can it be used on the end caps, and the inside of the hood?
Should the main color portion of the hood be avoided?

Can it be used on the exterior of the Cookbox? Should it be?
Is the inside of the Cookbox a no-no?
Same question for the frame?

Are there things it should NEVER be used on, for a particular reason?

I've been using Purple Power degreaser for most of my cleaning efforts, but if brake cleaner is faster/easier/better, I'd love to switch.
Also, if brake cleaner provides a different/additional purpose, I'd love to use it for those reasons too.

Thanks!

Last edited:
Do not use chlorinated brake cleaner where heat will be applied before it flashes off. Heating up chlorinated brake cleaner will turn the vapors into something akin to WW II's phosgene. People die from this.

Personally, I do use brake cleaner for degreasing stuff in the garage, especially the good chlorinated stuff.

I've never used it on a grill. I'm okay with my grill getting reasonably dirty.

Realistically, you could probably put darn near anything on a grill and by the time you've rinsed it off and fired up the grill, there wouldn't be enough left to worry about.

If you've never tried it, brake cleaner is a really cool product.

I mostly use it for prepping parts to paint them, but it certainly has additional uses.
So this is kinda one of my questions, to dig into more detail:

Would you have already wire cup brushed the part in question (i.e. - Hood End Caps, etc.), and then apply the brake cleaner?

So this is kinda one of my questions, to dig into more detail:

Would you have already wire cup brushed the part in question (i.e. - Hood End Caps, etc.), and then apply the brake cleaner?
Yes, for sure. You want to do it right before you paint so that you have a nice, clean surface. Paint doesn't adhere well to dust and contaminants on the metal and you will end up with an uneven finish.

As long as you don't put it where the liquid will get hot which gives off some really nasty stuff. It's fine. It dries and leaves nothing behind. It's why it's good for cleaning brakes, prepping for some paint and what have you. It's also really good at killing wasps

I'm actually going to be in a bee suit tonight on a ladder dusting three separate wasp locations around my house.
Two in soffits, and one at the foundation.

I'll make sure to fill a Super Soaker up with brake cleaner just for good measure.

I'm actually going to be in a bee suit tonight on a ladder dusting three separate wasp locations around my house.
Two in soffits, and one at the foundation.

I'll make sure to fill a Super Soaker up with brake cleaner just for good measure.
I suspect that the brake cleaner will dissolve the Super Soaker plastic.
Reminds me of the fun we had getting rid of gypsy moths with carb cleaner and a lighter- home-made flamethrower. Oh, the fun we had when we were teenagers.
Could have burned the neighborhood down.

And that's why I keep coming back. That's good info right there because I found out the hard way knocking them out the air with a fly swatter has it's repercussions :)
You need to get one of these electrified fly swatters. But you've got to be quick and accurate, you've only got one shot at getting them before they get you! 😳

Back to our regularly scheduled brake cleaner discussion...

Chlorinated brake cleaners are really good degreasers but be warned, they are toxic and are absorbed through the skin and lungs. The new ones are less toxic but you should still use them with gloves and with plenty of fresh air. I was a heavy equipment mechanic for 30 years and wound up with some liver damage from cleaners. Back in the old days people used gasoline as a degreaser as well. Any way after 15 years of no exposure my liver enzyme readings are now normal. :) Just a friendly warning to all.

Chlorinated brake cleaners are really good degreasers but be warned, they are toxic and are absorbed through the skin and lungs. The new ones are less toxic but you should still use them with gloves and with plenty of fresh air. I was a heavy equipment mechanic for 30 years and wound up with some liver damage from cleaners. Back in the old days people used gasoline as a degreaser as well. Any way after 15 years of no exposure my liver enzyme readings are now normal. :) Just a friendly warning to all.
Same liver boat, and scarred lungs thanks to all the asbestos I inhaled as well

Yah, back in the day, no one wore gloves, eye protection, hearing protection or breathing protection whether at home or at an automotive repair shop. It is a wonder more people are not blind, deaf and dead.

Back