Boston Butts do you..

SkipGirten

Do you sauce the bark to finish a boston butt? Will the sauce add to the bark? I prefer to pull and eat without sauce on the pulled pork, just add a little apple juice and rub. Just wondered if sauce on the bark offered benefits?

I add sauce when I eat it - either on a plate or when I make a sandwich. I don't sauce them on the outside. I just let the bark be what it's going to be. No spray, no basting, no nothing (just rub) until after I pull.

I don't see the point in saucing a whole butt before you pull it. I add just a hit of vinegar based sauce after I pull it, then let folks choose to sauce it or not as they see fit when they eat it. Personally I add just a bit more vinegar sauce to mine.

Interesting idea...lets say that you wanted a pork butt as a centerpiece at dinner, might make a very pleasing appearance to have it sauced/glazed at the center of the table. Then each person could dive in with a fork or some other utensil...would easily be tender enough to just pull nice chunks out. Not typically the way pork is served, but I like it...served in a ring of sweet potatoes w/ bottles or dishes of sauce...I just might try this!!

Chuck,
I've been asked to cook for a birthday party in December. I really like this little mini-pig pickin idea...I think I'm going to run with it.

also, please check your email...trying to reach the QU guys.

Or would this be a butt pickin party
icon_razz.gif

I can't think of a better time than sitting around with friends pickin butt. Bring on the butt pickin party.

I did it once up at the cottage. Baked beans, slaw, corn bread, sweet potatoes and that pork but in the middle of the table where everbody can pull a hunk of meat off. All I can say life does not get any better that that.
DrChuckie

Back