Boneless Skinless Smoked Turkey Breast

Jeff S

TVWBB Pro
Every time Chris changes the topic on the main page, I have to go and try what he has up! I did the turkey breasts this weekend and they were out of this work. My butcher did not have any fresh turkey breasts, so I went to my local Kroger Supermarket and bought 2 of the 3lb Butterball Turkey Breast Roasts. They are frozen and netted. They were on sale for $5.99. These worked out perfectly and sliced up very nicely. Great flavor! Thanks, Chris!

I had been thinking about trying a couple of the turkey breast roasts myself, glad to hear they turned out so well. Did the cooking times follow along with the original article?

I did one Saturday at the same temps as Chris. Mine was done in way less time than his 4. Mine was a 4 pounder

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Brady:
I had been thinking about trying a couple of the turkey breast roasts myself, glad to hear they turned out so well. Did the cooking times follow along with the original article? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Brady, I was having a little trouble keeping my temp up. I could not get Chunk Cherry, so I had to use chips. I used the MM and I think my lit coals had a hard time recouping after I threw the soaked chips on the coals. after 3.5 hours, the meat was at 150* so I foiled them and finished them off in the oven for about an hour.

Matt, I tried that one time and did not get much smoke. The chips did not even burn after the heat dried them. Could I have done something wrong?

For thie smoking chips issue.... try using a metal soup can like the gasser people do... I have tried this with chips and had great success.

For whatever reason, you are more likely to get a smoldering effect than flames. My guess is the enclosed can keeps the oxygen level in the can lower than normal, keeping the fire at bay.

I use a Tuna can for my chips. Save the lid. Rinse throughly, put chips in and cover with the lid. There's enough space around the lid to let the smoke out.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Dave/G:
I did one Saturday at the same temps as Chris. Mine was done in way less time than his 4. Mine was a 4 pounder </div></BLOCKQUOTE>Cooking time is affected by total weight of all meat cooked. You cooked 4 pounds, I cooked 16 pounds. I would expect yours to cook faster than mine.

Regards,
Chris

Yes, I should of made that distinction. Just wanted to point out how long for just one in my instance.

I've yet to try this but a fellow bbq'r once told me when buying the turkey breasts that have the skin on them all you have to do is open one end of the netting and grab the skin and give it a quick jerk or two. The skin should come right off and then you just tie the netting back up.

What about reheating one of these whole once it's been cooked and cooled? Any suggestions? Thanks!

Rick

I'm going to cook a 5 pound one on Thursday. I am just wondering how long should it take?

Thanks
Paul

I cooked one up a couple of weeks ago. Makes great sammiches the rest of the week.

Jeff S, I am not sure where Smith's Grove, KY is but do you get to ohio very often? I can set you up with some cherry chunks if you do.

The last two I did were stuffed with fresh basil, garlic and goat cheese. They turned out to be big hits.

Back