Boneless Beef Chuck Short Ribs - Best Technique? Serving Ideas?

Rita Y

TVWBB Emerald Member
Costco carries some good looking boneless beef chuck short ribs. They look like this:

http://www.smokingmeatforums.com/t/128348/boneless-beef-chuck-short-ribs-qview

I have an older Weber Genesis gas grill. I'd like to know what the best technique might be for achieving the most tender results. They are about 1/2" thick, which seems a bit thin for a reverse sear. I did grill a few and they had a marvelous very beefy flavor.

Should they be cooked all the way through or would rare (hopefully) be the most successful?

I'm also looking for serving ideas, rubs and sauces, not necessary BBQ flavored, but that would be fine too.

Rita

Last edited:
I think if you go rare you might have a tough go of it. Maybe you should cook a chuck low and slow.

Here's a take on country style beef ribs: Dust with a nice rub (I like KC Masterpiece steak seasoning and Bad Byron's Butt Rub), 225 - 250* for a cpl hours, add some brown sugar, parkay, agave nectar and tiger sauce in a foil pouch and let go another cpl hours, then remove from foil and let tighten for a few more minutes or up to an hour until tender. Basically, a 2-2-1. I did some beef baby backs the other day using that technique and they were fantastic with no sauce.

Dwain, these boneless short ribs each measure about 8" x 2" x about 1/2" to 3/4" thick and weigh 6 to 9 ounces each. I'm thinking that they are better-suited for the grill than the smoker. They are definitely not roast size. Your method sounds delicious. I have not seen country-style beef ribs, but I'm sure they are a lot larger than these little gems.

Rita

You can grill them or pan fry. Either way, I would suggest a moderate cook temp. Turn frequently: build the sear. Take to ~125˚, rest, slice , serve.

Very nice, Kevin. Thank you. How would you sauce them? For pan-fried, a pan reduction? What about with grilled? Something like an aioli? I'm looking for something other than BBQ type sauce.

I'm thinking that a bulgogi, kalbi-type marinade might be good too.

Rita

Last edited:
Yes, probably a reduction if done in the pan. Maybe a beurre rouge with herbs. Maybe a mustard sauce or a cherry-mustard-shallot or a flavored aioli for grilled. Or a coffee-chile. Depends on the sides.

Lovely! That gives me several delicious directions to go. Time to play! I don't care for coffee, but for some reason your coffee-chile rubs grab me. I have a couple in my files but will do a search for others that might be out there. Those flavors seem so compatible with the beefy flavor of those boneless short ribs.

Thank you, Kevin!

And Brad, good idea to slice for a satay. I haven't done that in ages. Thanks.

Rita

Last edited:
One other thing. Those boneless short ribs make for fantastic burgers! I coarse grind them using a kitchen aid mixer with the attachment and get excellent results.

Sear all four sides in a cast iron skillet.
Dump the meat into a slow cooker set on low.
Dump some red wine into the skillet, deglaze, dump contents into slow cooker.
Throw a bay leaf and some fresh rosemary into the slow cooker.
Cook until falling apart. 6 hours more or less. If you run it on high the first hour you can pull that in some.

Back