Bone In Turkey Breast on WSK

John K BBQ

TVWBB All-Star
I did a 9 lb bone in turkey breast for Thanksgiving this year. Thawed well in advance, and then dry brined with my own SPG seasoning for 2 full days in the fridge. I put the WSK's charcoal grate on the bottom, and used the weber charcoal baskets, I put about 8 fresh briqs in the bottom of each basket, then covered it with the fully lit Kingsford Original from a full large chimney. I covered the charcoal grate in between the baskets to catch some of the drippings. Bottom vents were full open, and had no issue running about 350 with top vent about 1/3 to 1/2 open. Turkey meat was very moist and flavorful. The skin could have used some higher heat... I'll do it the same next year if I have the chance, but will probably run some higher heat near the beginning to get that skin to start rendering a little faster.

Here's a pic right before I took it off. 9 lbs was a good size for a family of 4... could have done with a little bit more left overs. But there is nothing stopping me from doing another one for Christmas!!!

1669600841264.png

Two hours is about right. I had my thermoworks watching pit and meat temp. Pulled it right at 160, let it carry over and rest for at least an hour before carving. Weather was wet and cold, but thankfully no wind, so having my patio umbrella over the WSK was no issue at all.

Back