Bone in pork loin roast suggestions

JWorden

TVWBB Fan
Hi everyone,

By mistake I purchased a bone in pork loin roast. I have never cooked one before so I was wondering if anyone has any suggestions. I'm familiar with cooking pork tenderloin on my performer and pork shoulder and ribs on my WSM.

I know you can eat pork at around 145F but my wife won't touch it unless it's well done so for tenderloin and chops I go to about 160. Does anyone have suggestions on how to cook this?

My initial thought was to use my WSM with some apple or peach wood at around 250F. Smoke it until it's a little under 160 and wrap it in foil for 15 minutes to rest. Should I brine the pork for a few hours in advance? I'm thinking it won't dry out so much. I'll keep the seasoning simple with salt, pepper, and garlic.

Thanks

Last edited:
Wet brining pork always adds flavor. You can cook it like a beef bone in prime rib. The outer ends will be more done then the center. So you can the wife can be happy. 160° seems high to me. I usually stop at 145° and rest it.

Maybe others who go to 160° can chime in.

It all depends how done you want it to be.

I agree 160 is high but if it's pink at all she won't eat it. With tenderloin I can get away with this since it's so tender anyways.

Edit: I could run two probes. The center should cook less than the sides.

Thanks for the reply

I’m onboard with Brett, the double probe is wise however, I never do it. I usually use the Kettle, classic divided charcoal baskets a chunk of cherry, done in under an hour. Always a crowd pleaser around here.
Yes, on the brining as well!

How big is it?
Is the chine bone removed?
You could always cut it in half and cook to different temps.

Damn cut translations.

I believe I did a pork loin roast this summer on the spit. Not exactly sure, but it was a leaner pork cut.

+1 on brining pork. I had great success with a salt + white wine brine. The wine penetrated the meat, and gave it flavoir and a bit of acidity to boot. And after the brine, definitely do cut a piece and fry it up to check the salt content. This is the easy 'secret' to nail the seasoning.

My pork "probably loin" was cooked through. I do not own a wireless thermometer, nor did I have my new thermometers at the time. But the brine has kept it flavourful and moist. So even when you go to 160, I think a good brine will pull you through.

But I confess my pork can be improved. Gonna put a brined pork loin at 145f on the list :)

Thanks everyone

It's a center cut pork loin roast. It has a row of bones sticking out the side. It weighs 4.27 pounds.

I do have a weber spirit I could sear my wife's cut to her liking so that's an option.

Thanks everyone

It's a center cut pork loin roast. It has a row of bones sticking out the side. It weighs 4.27 pounds.

I do have a weber spirit I could sear my wife's cut to her liking so that's an option.
The last roast I bought was cryovac sealed and also was wet-brined.

If yours is that way, I would be very cautious about adding salt or it may end up too salty.

Maybe, it's better to smoke on the performer with split baskets at 350F . That's how I do tenderloin.

I just assumed the WSM would be better but if it's a quick cook I don't need it.

Maybe, it's better to smoke on the performer with split baskets at 350F . That's how I do tenderloin.

I just assumed the WSM would be better but if it's a quick cook I don't need it.
That’s how I generally do them, it’s easy, light it up, drop in a drip pan, get the pork on and wait 45 minutes, check temp. Go longer if you need to. Have a cocktail while someone else does sides! That’s what I LIKE to do, rarely am I not the one doing sides too so I drink and drive most of these family feasts!

Damn cut translations.

I believe I did a pork loin roast this summer on the spit. Not exactly sure, but it was a leaner pork cut.

+1 on brining pork. I had great success with a salt + white wine brine. The wine penetrated the meat, and gave it flavoir and a bit of acidity to boot. And after the brine, definitely do cut a piece and fry it up to check the salt content. This is the easy 'secret' to nail the seasoning.

My pork "probably loin" was cooked through. I do not own a wireless thermometer, nor did I have my new thermometers at the time. But the brine has kept it flavourful and moist. So even when you go to 160, I think a good brine will pull you through.

But I confess my pork can be improved. Gonna put a brined pork loin at 145f on the list :)
lingonberries on the outside done in a low and slow fashion, first brined in 5% salt and sugar solution (5% weight of each to the water's weight). dress the loin with garlic and black pepper and the lingonberries atop that.

Back