Bone-In Leg of Lamb Recipe?

GrantT

TVWBB Pro
Anyone out there have a favorite rub/paste/marinade for a BONE-IN leg of lamb cook? Was planning on cooking it "SnS" indirect on the S6 at around 275 degrees or so until about 140-145ish inside. Just looking for that great herbal/spice flavor add to throw it over the top.

Grant, I don't have specific amounts, but my go to for LoL is a mustard herb paste.

Dijon mustard
Olive oil
Rosemary (fresh is best, chopped medium fine)
Thyme (again, fresh if I can get it)
Salt/Pepper to taste

Mix together mustard and olive oil to create a good paste consistency. Add in herbs, salt and pepper. I usually will still salt the roast, then coat liberally with the paste and cook at your desired temp to your desired finishing temp. I have also seared the lamb first, let it cool a little, coat with the paste, and continue.

Sorry I can't give you proportions, as I always just eyeball it. :)

Here's something similar at SeriousEats that can give you some ideas..... I don't like mint or breadcrumbs in my coating, but you do you! :)

R

Hehe....I think we have the same wine brain neurons.....

I have made one revision to my inital plan....after reviewing quite a few recipes out there, I think I will be cooking at a much higher temperature than first planned.

Grant, I don't have specific amounts, but my go to for LoL is a mustard herb paste.

Dijon mustard
Olive oil
Rosemary (fresh is best, chopped medium fine)
Thyme (again, fresh if I can get it)
Salt/Pepper to taste

Mix together mustard and olive oil to create a good paste consistency. Add in herbs, salt and pepper. I usually will still salt the roast, then coat liberally with the paste and cook at your desired temp to your desired finishing temp. I have also seared the lamb first, let it cool a little, coat with the paste, and continue.

Sorry I can't give you proportions, as I always just eyeball it. :)

Here's something similar at SeriousEats that can give you some ideas..... I don't like mint or breadcrumbs in my coating, but you do you! :)

R
This but with chunky black pepper, and cut slits into the lamb and push in whole garlic cloves. The garlic will render its oil and impart a really nice flavor.

My goto is always SP and fresh rosemary with lamb. You cannot go wrong. And the roasted inserted garlic is next level.

I’d personally do a Napa cab with such fatty lamb. Something from the Rutherford area that’s nice and earthy, granite-y, bold, leathery and deep dark color.

BV vineyards, Sterling, Rutherford Ranch, Hewitt, Duckhorn. The list goes on.

I’ve done a marinade of equal parts red wine and balsamic vinegar with rosemary and minced garlic with very nice results. Might do that for Easter, still thinking about that.
edit-
I generally butterfly it and trim pretty closely, give it an overnight bath in the above juice. Enjoy a nice adult beverage while the gem roasts. I’ve laid them out flat (a la Spatchcock) or re tied into something resembling the leg. Spatched, one glass, re tied, two. (More or less)
Indirect method but, pretty hot (full baskets) I like to side it with a nice mushroom risotto or tortellini with a garlic butter sauce and roasted broccoli.

Last edited:
My wife pokes it full of holes and stuffs garlic and rosemary into them then sprinkles with salt & pepper. I put it on the pellet pooper at 325 and pull at 125 to130 internal temp and rest for 1/2 hour for med rare to med. Prety basic but always good.

Zactly what Bob Bailey does, plus I'll sprinkle on some fine cut, dried mint along with the S&P.

I always serve lamb with mint sauce, (not mint jelly), on the side.

Zactly what Bob Bailey does, plus I'll sprinkle on some fine cut, dried mint along with the S&P.

I always serve lamb with mint sauce, (not mint jelly), on the side.
It's served with mint jelly here. Not my department. I just man the fire :)

Back