Blue screens on my lap top, Windows 10 ?

Lynn Dollar

TVWBB Emerald Member
I've had this Asus lap top since 2016. It crashed a couple years ago, got a permanent blue screen. A year ago, I had the computer shop put a new HD in and its worked fine up till now.

I'm thinking its headed to another permanent crash and maybe its time to spend some money on a new device ? I've got a lot on this lap top, that I don't want to lose.

Yup.

Back up everything to cloud (Google) and/or local external storage.

ASUS are fine, take a look at Black Friday deals. Otherwise Acer or Lenovo. All about the same.

Costco has some good laptop sales.

I've had hard drive problems with my las 2 laptops. This time I got an Acer with a solid-state hard drive. Couldn't be happier and there aren't any moving parts to fail.

Acer Aspire 5 Slim Laptop, 15.6 inches Full HD IPS Display, AMD Ryzen 3 3200U, Vega 3 Graphics, 4GB DDR4, 128GB SSD, Backlit Keyboard, Windows 10 in S Mode, A515-43-R19L, Silver​

SSD makes a huge difference in performance and durability.

If the 2016 Asus has a spinning hard drive, a SSD might be all that's needed.

Agree with the others on backing up your data.

My rule of thumb is always back up and don't rely on a notebook for more than 3 years. Yes. 3. And it makes no difference who the manufacturer is. And I speak as a business owner, not as a gamer or a YouTube addict.

My rule of thumb is always back up and don't rely on a notebook for more than 3 years. Yes. 3. And it makes no difference who the manufacturer is. And I speak as a business owner, not as a gamer or a YouTube addict.
My late 2013 MacBook pro retina core i7 16Gb 1TB SSD disagrees with you.

Lynn...
Once you get everything worked out, set yourself up with a backup process that's workable for you.
Myself, the desktop I use has 1 1TB SSD and 3 1TB HDD (one of which is also for backup) for normal use. These are backed up to external 4TB HDD w/usb and a 6TB HDD w/e-sata. Using Acronis for the backups.
note: this desktop should be history sometime early next year. only the case (Corsair Obsidian 1000D) has been bought so far... ;)

Last edited:
You can easily get a decent windows laptop for $400 or less. I like Lenovos. No need to spend more or hang onto old hardware that is not running well.

And back it up.

I use MS OneDrive which is simple and works great. I work off a tower at my home office desk and have a laptop for travel. OneDrive backs up my tower in real time to the cloud, and also syncs to my laptop. So my stuff is always in three places - tower plus cloud plus laptop.

And all my documents are always available anywhere from any device. So having my tower go down is a yawn. Losing my laptop is also a yawn. Just get a new device, log in and the new device looks and works exactly like the old one does.

It is really nice to be untethered from dependence on any one location or device.

You can easily get a decent windows laptop for $400 or less. I like Lenovos. No need to spend more or hang onto old hardware that is not running well.

And back it up.

I use MS OneDrive which is simple and works great. I work off a tower at my home office desk and have a laptop for travel. OneDrive backs up my tower in real time to the cloud, and also syncs to my laptop. So my stuff is always in three places - tower plus cloud plus laptop.

And all my documents are always available anywhere from any device. So having my tower go down is a yawn. Losing my laptop is also a yawn. Just get a new device, log in and the new device looks and works exactly like the old one does.

It is really nice to be untethered from dependence on any one location or device.

I'm partially using OneDrive now and like it. I think I need to move forward with that.

Yep I just bought 2 new laptops this year. Both HPs with 11th gen I5 8gm RAM, SSHDD, higher end graphics and sound. One for me one for Wife. Only because I dropped a glass of wine on my fav ASUS laptop. Still mad about that one. I have the HDD out of it though and can get all the stuff off it. We also signed up for Microsoft Office 365 that comes with lots of One Drive storage so everything I/we need backs up to the cloud easily and automatically
My other really old ASUS with regular HDD is still spinning merrily along. My secret with HDD is basically I never shut them off. The only HDD I have ever had fail is the one I used for all my backups I bought a number of years ago. It will not spin up so all my faithful bakups are toast unless I can get that drive to spin again

Yep I just bought 2 new laptops this year. Both HPs with 11th gen I5 8gm RAM, SSHDD, higher end graphics and sound. One for me one for Wife. Only because I dropped a glass of wine on my fav ASUS laptop. Still mad about that one.

Yup -- a laptop is like a cell phone. An inherently unstable and transitory device, but very convenient. Drops, drink spills, leave behinds in taxis/airport security etc., theft -- there's just endless and frequent ways it can stop being available to you.

So I treat them as disposable items. I don't pay too much for them (I often buy refurbs) and get a new one whenever needed. Having everything backed up automatically means getting a new laptop is no more disruptive than getting a new cell phone.

P.S. The MacBooks are built like tanks and can last a very long time. My kids all have them and they last for years...so long as they aren't lost, stolen, dropped or liquidated. Which is why I go for disposable/replaceable Windows laptops. I can buy two or three PC laptops for what one Apple goes for....

Last edited:
I have been pretty lucky with laptops having owned Dell, Toshiba, HP, E-Machines and Acer. I currently have two Acers with solid state drives (an Aspire and a Spin) and they are great. 9-10 second boot-up time. My wife has a 17" HP and has had no problems. I think to a large extent, it is luck of the draw how they hold up.

Instead of cloud storage, I went with a two disk Synology NAS (Network Attached Storage) unit. The two disks mirror each other, so if one fails, your data isn’t lost. You just replace the bad drive. You can use them for for more than just storage. I host my own password manager on it, as well as my media library.

Gerry

Instead of cloud storage, I went with a two disk Synology NAS (Network Attached Storage) unit. The two disks mirror each other, so if one fails, your data isn’t lost. You just replace the bad drive. You can use them for for more than just storage. I host my own password manager on it, as well as my media library.

Gerry

Another Synolgy user here. Only drawback is in the event of a fire or flood, your data could be lost. I keep telling myself I'm going to do an annual backup to a portable drive and store that in another location, but have never actually followed through. I use them for file storage, and the Time Machine backups of our Macs are also on there.

Another Synolgy user here. Only drawback is in the event of a fire or flood, your data could be lost. I keep telling myself I'm going to do an annual backup to a portable drive and store that in another location, but have never actually followed through. I use them for file storage, and the Time Machine backups of our Macs are also on there.
I started with a 2 bay unit in 2012 and use it as a backup to another two bay unit I bought in 2016. Both are in the safe in the basement wIth ups backup power. I know I should have one of them off site.
As my files grow, I’ve been replacing the drives with larger capacity drives so I now have four 3 tb drives and two 4 tb drives taking up space.
Maybe it’s time for a six bay NAS!

Gerry

Back