Birmingham, UK

Mick Healy

Hi guys,

This is the first summer I've had a garden and I've been bitten by the BBQ bug bad!

So much so that i now want to progress onto smoking! I've settled on the Webber Smokey Mountain but am unsure whether to go for the 47cm (18.5" for my American friends) or 57cm (22.5") model. I enjoy cooking for large numbers so think i'll get use our of the 57cm but have read in places it can be harder to regulate the temperature on the larger model. As a complete newby to smoking would i be better off learning the ropes with the 47cm model or will it not make any difference.

Any advice would be much appreciated.

Mick

Mick

general consensus in the UK is that the 47 uses less charcoal and is easier to manage - but to be honest I never had any issues with my 57 (or my 37 for that matter)
if you like to cook for large numbers - 57 is the way to go....no-one ever wanted LESS space!

Chris

First, welcome to the forum Mick. Our UK members are growing by leaps and bounds, very glad to see that. As for the 57 (22.5) WSM, while they will use more fuel due to the size, they should be the same in terms of control. And as Chris stated, if you are cooking for larger groups, that 57 will be your best bet. I am wanting to get the 14.5 (37) WSM for small cooks for just my wife and I since it uses much less fuel. What is comes down to is if your cooking for larger groups, then go big. Again, welcome to the forum. Let us know what you get.

Welcome Mick. All I have is the 14.5 WSM so I'm not going to chime in on the subject of space. Lot's of friendly and knowledgeable folks here. Pictures, we love pictures.

Welcome to the forum Mick. I have a 14.5 and an 18.5 but there is just two of us 99.9% of the time. But even every once in awhile like when doing more than two racks of ribs or a full brisket the 18.5 gets a little small. If you do a lot of entertaining go for the 22.5 you won't regret it.

Back