Birds Cooking too Fast?

Matt U

I have 2 10 lb birds on the top shelf that were brined for 24 hours. WSM has been in low 300s and after 50 minutes of cook time internal temp is 140. Im using my Maverick thermometer and it had worked spot-on in the past. An inexpensive meat temp gauge shows close to the same internal temps. Is this possible?

Trust your thermometers! It's possible...if done too early, you can wrap in foil, place in empty ice chest, and cover with towels to keep warm for a while.

Was just thinking...check internal temp in a few spots and average the results. Might be getting an odd reading in one spot.

Cooking time seems to be slowing down some. Going to wrap in foil and towels and then into the cooler. Thanks for your help!

My 12 pounder (brined) seems to have cooked in two hours. Various spots with two different therms showed done. 325-350 most of way. Possible?

Edit: Well, just like brisket, it's done when it's done! Probably ran closer to 350 most of the time, it was done to perfection! Great skin, juicy meat, thanks for the brining/cooking tips, Chris!

Last edited:
My 12 pounder (brined) seems to have cooked in two hours. Various spots with two different therms showed done. 325-350 most of way. Possible?

Edit: Well, just like brisket, it's done when it's done! Probably ran closer to 350 most of the time, it was done to perfection! Great skin, juicy meat, thanks for the brining/cooking tips, Chris!

I was shocked also I had a 13 pound bird and cooked on my performer. Cooking at 325-350 it was 160 at the two hour mark. The Maverick and four analog thermometers all agreed. Came out okay as I didn't brine it (I can't have that much salt anymore) injected it with a 50/50 of AJ and LS chicken broth. What also surprised me was the internal temp crept up to 177 after I pulled it at 161 which made it a little dry, but still okay.

Chris - Do turkeys temps stall like briskets and pork shoulders? I've been stuck at 151 for about a half hour.
Not 100% sure. But cooking any meat at high temp prevents the stall, so unlikely if you were over 300*F the whole time.

Back