Biggest regret or mistake

Many years ago someone posted a Kettle from the Weber restaurant in Chicago on craigslist. It might of been a second or didn't meet standards, but I missed out by a few minutes.
It looked like this.
View attachment 33021

Looks like a HD Ranch. What's with the tilted cooking grates towards the back of the two outside units?

Regrets... I chased the perfect sear for decades thinking that because I paid an arm and a leg for my Lynx gasser, it should be up to the task. I regret not switching back to charcoal sooner. Everything I was trying to do on the Lynx that I just couldn't accomplish is a piece of cake over charcoal.

Looks like a HD Ranch. What's with the tilted cooking grates towards the back of the two outside units?
I'd like to see the size of the chimney they use to keep those behemoth's fed!
It's not that one on the left that's for certain. :rolleyes:

Buying a lot of smokers and grills on impulse and expecting them to do a good job on whatever I threw at them. Finally discovering that there really is no "one size fits all" sure has made outdoor cooking much easier and the food much better. An even bigger regret is taking 20+ years to learn this:censored:

I regret giving me and my husband food poisoning 17 years ago, undercooking a whole chicken while on vacation. It took another 6 years to take a food safety class. It hasn't happened again but I still worry about making people sick to this day.

The second thing is not so much of a regret but a general sadness that BBQ contests in the way I experienced them, is a thing of the past. I thought I could leave them and come back when I was ready. That they would always be there. But the landscape has changed so much that it will never be the same.

And I regret not reaching out to more BBQ friends during the pandemic.

Last edited:

Back