Bigger fan options when moving to a bigger smoker?

ChrisB in Miami

I'm currently using my HeaterMeter on a BGE XL with an Adapt-a-Damper and it works great. I am looking at adding a bigger, offset smoker to my repertoire and am wondering about HeaterMeter-compatible fan options on bigger smokers. I went on the BBQ Guru site and went through their "help me choose" process to get an idea what they use. I chose a 60" Lang and got this:

It indicates that they would recommend 2 of their Pit Bull fans for a smoker of this size.

Does anybody here have any thoughts around this?
  • Do the BBQ Guru fans work with the HeaterMeter?
  • That kit comes with a Fan Splitter - is it safe to assume that that would work with HeaterMeter as well?
  • Are there other large fans that anyone has experience with?
  • Any advice when thinking about using HeaterMeter on a bigger smoker in general?
Thanks for any input!

Yeah, the BBQ Guru fans will work, but you'll need some sort of adapter to go from RJ45 to the plugs they use. Fan Splitter looks like a power adapter in parallel so should work. For my Gravity Feed, I use a 15 CFM fan, and it's plenty (it usually runs around 10% max when up to temp).

Also, you may need a beefier power supply depending on what those fans draw current wise.

Not being nearly as handy / resourceful as I wish I was, can you suggest where I could look for such an adapter? I did some googling and don't see anything looking like it has a barrel like theirs does. Or, if there's another / better fan option, can you point me at that? Also, you said you use a 15 CFM fan - do you have that hooked into a damper too? I'd love to get a look at that... I'm not sure how much airflow those BBQ Guru fans put out, I'll see if I can find out.

Hi,
Regarding those:
  • Are there other large fans that anyone has experience with?
  • Any advice when thinking about using HeaterMeter on a bigger smoker in general?

I'm using the "38 CFM Fan/Damper " that WBegg mention above on a reverse flow smoker that is 1m in length and about 60cm tall/deep (it's hexagonal).
Using those:
https://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B06XSCZJFL/tvwb-20
https://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B07NV476P7/tvwb-20

The system didn't cost more than 20$ (3d printed parts not including) and works perfectly.
keeps the smoker nice and warm with very little effort. I can reach 250' deg (celcius) without any problem with the fan 100%.

Something to bear in mind is that the HeaterMeter fan output circuit is designed a 1A max blower output, as both the diode and inductor are only rated for that (and actually, we're overdriving the inductor because our peak current can be up to 2A). I've run up to 3A through one before but it permanently damaged the inductor. A 1.8A blower must be a real beast!

Thanks for the responses guys. I heard back from BBQ Guru - the Pit Viper is 10 CFM, the Pit Bull is 25 CFM. That 1.8A blower says 46 CFM, so almost as much as 2 Pit Bulls. I'm still thinking it through - I'll post back when and if I move forward with it. Thanks again!

Something to bear in mind is that the HeaterMeter fan output circuit is designed a 1A max blower output, as both the diode and inductor are only rated for that (and actually, we're overdriving the inductor because our peak current can be up to 2A). I've run up to 3A through one before but it permanently damaged the inductor. A 1.8A blower must be a real beast!

I've been using the system for about a year. the fan rarely used in 100%.

Any way to use HeaterMeter only as PWM output (as the fan does have PWM control) and connect the blower directly to the 12V P.S.?

I have ordered one of the BFB1012VH blowers mentioned on this thread, because I own a offset smoker and I wasn't getting enough flow with the smaller blowers.
I'm awaiting the arrival of the BFB1012VH but noticed that it has 4 wires compared the the 2 wires that the smaller blowers have.
I am learning this as I go and am taking this project one step at a time... could someone tell me how to wire/power this larger blower?
If it helps, I found this reddit post that provides relevant information, but I'm still unsure how to wire it to the ethernet adapter.

Last edited:
Assuming red and black are for 12v + and -, it should run at full speed when using only those 2. Using the fan in voltage mode on the heatermeter should let you test if the fan speed ramps up and down with 0-12v ( 0% to 100% fan ) from the heatermeter.

Yup, just what Steve said. Use the black and red wires for power and the rest of the wires you can cut off (after you test it of course!). We don't use RPM monitoring or PWM control lines.

I have running a bfb1212ff delta blower for years on the same HM, on a RD25 and never have had any issues. I run it 100% rated air flow and it will keep my Stumps GravityFeed Clone at exactly at my desired set temperature.

I have ordered one of the BFB1012VH blowers mentioned on this thread, because I own a offset smoker and I wasn't getting enough flow with the smaller blowers.
I'm awaiting the arrival of the BFB1012VH but noticed that it has 4 wires compared the the 2 wires that the smaller blowers have.
I am learning this as I go and am taking this project one step at a time... could someone tell me how to wire/power this larger blower?
If it helps, I found this reddit post that provides relevant information, but I'm still unsure how to wire it to the ethernet adapter.
Red+ Black-

Sometimes the blue wire maybe positive..

I since I know black is negative, you could test each wire. Put the HM at 100% and try red, blue and see what works. The other two wires then can be clipped.

As for connecting it to the ethernet wire. If you plug in the cable to the HM, you will see, I believe wire 5 is the Blower wire. Strip the wires of the cable and using a multimeter continuity check put it on the blower connection and test each wire until you find the Blower+ wire and use that to wire it to the Delta Blower. The Ground wire will be down the same and don't quote me on this but I think that is number 8

So if you are looking at the bottom of the HM ethernet connection starting top left the numbering goes like 1,2. 3,4. 5,6. 7,8 left to right

Last edited:

Is that the same for all versions of the Heatermeter?

Older versions of HeaterMeter that didn't support voltage mode can do more, but all 4.2 and 4.3 HeaterMeters have the same components, so designed for up to 1A.

Yeah, the BBQ Guru fans will work, but you'll need some sort of adapter to go from RJ45 to the plugs they use. Fan Splitter looks like a power adapter in parallel so should work. For my Gravity Feed, I use a 15 CFM fan, and it's plenty (it usually runs around 10% max when up to temp).

Also, you may need a beefier power supply depending on what those fans draw current wise.
Hi, what size is your gravity fed? I'm currently building the double pan gravity fed from smoker builder and am trying to work out what size fan would be enough. Thanks in advance.

Back