Big Turkey ???

Guy Wallace

TVWBB Super Fan
My wife buys turkeys a lot frozen I know I know freah is better but we wana smoke one and we need to make room in our freezer !
It a BIG bird a butter ball 20 lbs sooo what kina wood and in genral ideas I haven't done a turkey and shes at me to do this one this weekend ! do you guys rub a turkey or what ? Iam lost at sea here help a brther smoker out here so wifey is happy :O)

I'm no expert on whole birds, but I have smoked quite a few turkey breasts. I use a rub (the same home-made rub I use for chicken wings), but only a light application. I would use apple wood if available, but whatever wood you use, use it sparingly. Poultry seems to soak up smoke much faster than pork or beef, and is easier to get oversmoked. The last turkey breast I did, I aimed for 300-350 degrees, used a little wood, and basically cooked it just as I would do in the oven. I don't think you'd go wrong following the same approach.

Hey Guy I have done a few and they turn out great and are easy to cook.

There is plenty of info here.

Let us know how it turns out and if the wife is happy.

And some more info here.
I like to use one of the following. apple, cherry, sugar maple, hickory or pecan, and lately alder.
It's all good in my book.
icon_smile.gif

Tim

Guy,

This is a little late since you are probably already doing your turkey, but the Apple Brined Turkey recipe that Chris has on this site under Cooking topics is really great. It takes a lot of prep time since you need to let the turkey brine for 24 hours and other stuff, but well worth it.

For smoke wood for what you say you have, I would use a good chunk of apple, small piece of oak, and good chunk of maple. Make sure you get your temp up to 325-350 and keep it there for the duration. If you are having trouble getting your temp up with the turkey in there, then invert your access door and prop it open an inch or two with something holding it open. This will help get more air in there and get the coals hot. If you can't get your temp up to 325 or higher, then it is going to take longer to cook the turkey and it won't be as moist. (this is from past experience unfortunately
icon_smile.gif
)

Good luck,
Kg

Back