Big Turkey on a WSM 18.5

RobNM

TVWBB Member
Sorry if this question has been asked before. I have an 18.5 WSM. and we just purchased a Turkey a that weighs in a little over 19lb's. I volunteered to do the Turkey this year. My question is will this size of 🦃 fit and if it does what is the best way to smoke this bad boy in my Smoker?

While it's still in the packaging check and see if it fits. I wanna say I did a 20# in mine and it just fit.

If it doesn't fit, you could try using a vertical roaster or a "Tallboy" can of beer like beer can chicken and use the middle grate.

If it all doesn't fit on the top rack, then:

1. Vertical roaster rack on bottom grate. You could probably do a 25 pounder that way.

2. Remove the legs and thighs and cook separately on the bottom grate.

If you do #2, put the dark meat on earlier. Since the bottom grate is usually a little cooler and since the dark meat needs to get to a higher internal.

Last edited:
Thank you everyone, I did what Timothy mentioned and it looks like i have plenty of room. The turkey has been in my freezer for over a week and for whatever reason started thinking it wouldn't. My bad. I should have checked before I started this.:unsure::wsm22:

🦃

Better to find out before instead of the big day.
I did a 24# on my OTG one year. I checked that it fit on the grate before and felt good.
Day of, I had the coals going and placed the turkey on and went to put on the lid, uh-oh it didn't fit. The lid wouldn't seat properly and the breast was blocking the top vent. I'm trying to figure out a way to lower my top grate ( with hot coals going underneath) to get this thing to fit and then I got a Duh moment, use the lid for my 22.5" WSM .

If it all doesn't fit on the top rack, then:

1. Vertical roaster rack on bottom grate. You could probably do a 25 pounder that way.

2. Remove the legs and thighs and cook separately on the bottom grate.

If you do #2, put the dark meat on earlier. Since the bottom grate is usually a little cooler and since the dark meat needs to get to a higher internal.
Is that pretty much the consensus, that the bottom grate runs a little cooler? I get that heat rises but I didn't know if that would be counteracted by being closer to the coals.

Back