Big price drop in spare ribs at Sams

All due respect to Harry Soo and the other comp cooks, but I prefer to control the amount of seasoning, salt, whatever, that goes on my ribs. Comp cooking is a whole nother world.
I can appreciate that, but I don't make any adjustments when using these ribs, and find no difference in the results. YMMV.

The comp stuff I agree is different, you could not get my wife or daughter to eat them. I love St Louis but they like back ribs fall off the bone and I am okay with that I just love ribs. So that is what they get and to be totally honest not like we are eating them once a month so if I need to pay up so be it as we go out to eat a fair amount and they are still going to be cheaper than eating out when I am cooking them.

Making a Costco run tomorrow need wings and ribs will report back on the prices.

I do to be honest never noticed a difference however I am a salt guy salt everything before I eat has salt on it especially when doing ribeyes and filet's.

I prefer to start with a clean slate.

And I don't like paying extra for the weight of their enhancements, which is mostly why they do that. A few ounces per sale, adds up for the meat packers.

Lynn nothing wrong with that make your food the way you want it I have to be honest and in regards to the Turkey like Eric maybe once a year not really worried about paying up a bit more cause its enhanced.

I drink a bottle of Cab a night as my wife would remind me probably cost me thousands as when she goes shopping with the girls not like I am gonna ask her what she spent. :)

Enhanced is a totally different product than unenhanced. Perhaps you like a lot of salt.
I don't mind salt & I hear what your saying. My favorite rub right now for pork is Killer Hogs The BBQ Rub, it is more of a sugar based rub. Malcolm Reed recommends using his AP rub which is SPG, before applying The BBQ Rub. When using enhanced meat I tend to just season with garlic powder & pepper followed by The BBQ Rub.

I don't mind salt & I hear what your saying. My favorite rub right now for pork is Killer Hogs The BBQ Rub, it is more of a sugar based rub. Malcolm Reed recommends using his AP rub which is SPG, before applying The BBQ Rub. When using enhanced meat I tend to just season with garlic powder & pepper followed by The BBQ Rub.
Sounds good to me.

Just got back from Costco, St Louis and Back Ribs were the same price $4.99 pound. Did not buy any needed wings they were $2.99 a pound and Filet Mignon for dinner tonight was $19.99 a pound the top lines ones were $23.99 per pound. Filet's I bought really look good though.

Edit: Glad I did not buy any ribs at Costco, Kroger has Back Ribs on sale for $3.49 a pound heading there tomorrow stock up a bit.

Last edited:
I like salt but I am very picky about it.
I don’t want someone to add it for me.
You can alway add more.

I lightly salt brine most of my meats before the smoke. I also make my own rubs that don’t have any salt in them so it can be added later if needed.

What I don’t see where we live is quality meat.
I have a friend that commutes back and forth from Texas.
The meat he brings back and cooks for us makes ours look like scraps.
They have better meat there.

I am thinking about going in on a hog with a buddy just to get the nicer cuts because they don’t sell them here.

Just got back from Costco, St Louis and Back Ribs were the same price $4.99 pound. Did not buy any needed wings they were $2.99 a pound and Filet Mignon for dinner tonight was $19.99 a pound the top lines ones were $23.99 per pound. Filet's I bought really look good though.
Today is National Filet Mignon Day, I also bought some at Costco today for $19.99 lb.
Creekstone sent me an email this morning and six 6 oz. Prime FM steaks was $144, so 20 bucks a pound sounded dirt cheap.
I also bought a pack of Swift brand non-enhanced loin backs for $4.99 lb.

I've been buying those Smithfield BB's at 3.24lb at Walmart for awhile now. You can just buy one rack!
They turn out great. Could'nt care less about the solution, but I do prefer the ones from Sam's Club that are not in a solution
The 3-pack of the BB's at Sam's is 5.58lb, they haven't really come down in price like the butts
Until they do, it's the Smithfields from Walmart
Pork butts are 1.68lb, they've come down a $1 a pound in a few months time
I imagine they weren't getting many takers at 2.68lb

Went to Sams yesterday evening ..............

Spare ribs $2.50
Baby Backs $6.00
Pork Butt $1.68
Prime Brisket $3.95

Prices are getting back to near normal, but then, they'll probably go up again.
I wonder why baby backs are still sky high at Sam's?

Found Smithfield whole spares at my local grocer this morning, all natural , not enhanced for $1.50 a pound. They were frozen, but que sera, at that price I'm good with it. I bought four racks, probably should've bought more. But apparently, prices should be coming down.

20210905_100246.jpg20210905_100251.jpg

Back