Big Green Egg

G

I found out my wife bought me a BGE for Christmas, I'm not sure why??? I've grown attached to my WSM and completed all the appropriate upgrades. She'll want me to sell it!! Should I ask her to leave and take the BGE with her?

Sell it?????

I think they can live cohesively side by side. Just think, you can make a lot more food at once.

Keep the Egg, sell the wife.
icon_eek.gif

A wife who gives her husband a BGE for Christmas is definitely a wife worth keeping.

Think of all the other guys in the world who will be getting ties from theirs.

The BGE gives you some great cooking options that are hard to impossible on the WSM. High temp cooks (600 to 1000), setting up a pizza cook is much easier as examples.
A WSM and a BGE is a great combo of cookers.

Jim

Okay, you all have helped me view this from a different perspective. I'll keep her... I mean it.

definitely keep the egg. I have seven different cookers, and each has their advantages. (although the WSM is my favorite).

Keep the wife too. Must be a fine woman that buys a toy like that.

Just my opinion.

Brian, keep the egg and keep the wife how can you lose! Keep us posted on the egg I think it looks like a nice smoker.

Mike

I wanted to let folks know what my thoughts are on the BGE.
Pros
1) Great heat control, the adjustments can be very small
2) Excellent grill, it can get very hot
3) Very efficient, ceramic holds heat well and consumes very little lump.
4) No water pan to clean
Cons
1) Low capacity
2) Direct heat, not forgiving

I like it for grilling and poultry, but it's not a replacement for the WSM.
bkh

Brian there is a ceramic piece called a place setter you need to cook indirect or use fire brick to make a setup with drip pan.
Have fun.
Jim

I don't think there's anything else out there that comes close to the high heat capability or fuel efficiency of the BGE other than another ceramic cooker.

The downsides that killed the deal for me was the lack of capacity and the lack of practical portability (those things are HEAVY).

From what I know of the BGE, your wife's given you a premier steak and pizza machine -- I'd keep both.

How good is the BGE with steaks? Is it capable of searing? I plan on buying a new gasser this coming summer (Weber Genesis Silver B is on the radar) but love the fact that the BGE can run that hot! I bet a steak over lump would be tasty! However, its very easy to reduce the heat to finish the steak after it sears....is that possible with the BGE?

Russell-

Absolutely! I have a Kamado ceramic and if you build a big enough fire, I can get it to 1100 degrees or so. 600 works fine for searing steaks, and I know that the BGE performs the same. A technique that a lot of people use is to sear the steak about 60-90 seconds per side at about 600+ degrees, then with the lid closed, shut the top and bottom dampers to bring the temp down to 400-450 or so to finish it off. Here's a pic of one I did some time ago... This is a ribeye, and, as you can see, I like mine a bit on the rare side....

RibEye02_Split02.jpg

Cheers,
Rich G.

Russell

Do what you want, but I can tell you the Genesis Silver B, mine has the PCI grates, will exceed 600 degrees for searing and by turning off the middle burner and lowering the other 2, you're in the 400 degree range. Does a great job on steaks as evidenced by the ribeye and NY strip I just cooked tonite, The Themapen nails those temps right where you want them.

Paul

To keep it Weber, Paul is right on. Before I had the Kamado, I used a Weber kettle for about 15 years, and made many a great steak on it. I've had success using friends' gassers, too.

Lots of different ways to achieve the desired result.....

R

Rich G,

What size Kamado do you have? Do you have any problems with flare-ups? I've been looking at their website and I will say the Kamado looks impressive. Is it strictly mail order?

Back