Big Cook, and Charcoal Search

Tom Chips

TVWBB All-Star
I figured I'd stock up on some BBQ to vac pack for the next week or so, so I fired up the WSM, and really filled er up. Cleaning my seldom used lower rack took about 10 minutes to clean away the thick coating of char and sludge that built up on it over time.

Essentially, I went with about 18-20 pounds of pork shoulder on the lower rack. I had two small St. Louis ( pre-cut) spares on hand in the freezer, and I added to it one rack of baby backs. Since I knew the ribs were going to be done a lot sooner than the PP, I had about 20 or so ABT's waiting to take the place of the rib rack when they were done. Nice cook overall, definitely my best ribs to date. Much moister and more tender than my usual results. All without sauce, and this time no foil. Done in a bit over 4.5 hours holding at 250 with only one temp spike in the first hour, trying to get it above 200, shot it up to 400 for about 10 minutes
icon_frown.gif

I almost always do my ABT's in the oven, but this time around, I smoked them, and will definitely do it this way in the future. The softness, and subtle smokiness they picked up was unbeatable, compared to the oven.

I used a combination of apple wood and a few small chunks of hickory, cooked over Lazarri mesquite lump. Never realized till now that they are based right here in the bay area.

So now I'm on a mission to stock up on some better quality hardwood charcoal. I've been on Nakedwhiz a lot before, and definitely appreciate their sage input. Trying to source some of their better evaluated products is like pulling hens teeth.

Now I'm curious to try Kingsford's Charwood, it seemed like they were rather impressed with it. I'm wondering if anyone here has had any experience with it, positive or negative?

I also think it's time to buy a 55 gallon plastic trash can to hold my charcoal in. I live a half mile from the beach,and the fog and moisture in the air really is slowing down my start times a bit. I often go out to start a cook, and the paper bag the charcoal is in is soft and pliable from all the moisture.

Found an Ace hardware that is getting some of the Charwood in tomorrow, so that will be my next purchase. Overall it seems like it's way better than all the other products that Kingsford sells.

Last question, doe's anyone have any input on Lazarri's Oak hardwood charcoal? I've been using the mesquite all along, but I cant seem to find anything on Nakedwhiz about the oak stuff. Wondering if it will burn longer or have less ash then the mesquite. Not too terribly concerned about high temp abilities for the WSM. Not sure what the concensus is regarding whether oak or mesquite burns hotter.

Too bad there isn't any good quality extruded coconut charcoal available nearby anymore. The stuff from the Philippines apparently was amazing stuff, now replaced with poorer quality molded product that is less dense.

Tom, I highly recommend extruded coconut charcoal from Komodo Kamado. Best stuff I've tried yet, burns clean, very little ash and extremely long burn times.

It's a tad on the expensive side when you add in shipping but it's well worth it.

Thanks Larry! So you can only find it via the net? Are you in central CA?

I tried calling the Komodo number listed on the Nakedwhiz sit, but it's no longer in service. The number they redirect you to call doesn't seem to be the right business either. From what I can gather they are based down in san Diego.

Tom, from one of my previous posts and some added to it, Lazzari hardwood lump is not marked as Oak, just Hardwood Lump. It has some mesquite in it, but its all tree trunk/limb wood. I haven’t noticed any cabinet shop cutoffs or plywood in it. It doesn’t send out an excessive amount of sparks, so the mesquite content is not great. Some chunks are a little too long to get into a Weber chimney so I chop them up. I got three 40 lb bags at Lazzari in Burlingame for $16.06 a bag. It seems to burn long and doesn’t leave a lot of ash. I cooked 17 ½ hourts on a full ring of Lazzari without adding any more. I had about a half a chimney left of snuffed lump for the next cook I’ve used about 20 lbs so far and have less than 2 gallon of ashes in my 5 gallon ash can. They also have 5 lb bags of smoke wood chunks, I think about $5 or $6 a bag. They had quite an assortment of different smoke woods. For me, it’s well worth the ride from the east bay to get a few bags.

Lazzari
11 Industrial Way,
Brisbane, CA 94005.
415-467-2970
8:30 a.m. - 4:30 p.m. PST Monday through Friday.

Hi Tom, congrats on your successful cook. Why do you think the ribs were moister and more tender than usual? What did you do differently? (seems like many folks advocate saucing and foiling for best results). I haven't been happy with my ribs this year, and I am playing around with different things.

Thanks Chuck. I was looking at their website, and reading about the Oak, but haven't seen it.

That's a good long cook for one ring.

I have yet to use lump for my chimney. Old habits die hard I guess. I have always just used between 1/2 to 2/3 full chimney of whatever cheap briquettes I pick up nearby.

I think I will give the lump a try in the chimney soon. I imagine it will light a bit easier with some of those thinner or more jagged edges.

Thanks again.

Tom, I got to thinking and Lazzari puts out a lot less than a gallon of ash per ten pounds. My ash bucket had ash from my Cowboy lump cooks also. My last cook with a heaping ring of Lazzari for 17 ½ hrs left, I would guess, 2 or 3 cups of ash and ½ a chimney of snuffed lump.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Jamie B:
Why do you think the ribs were moister and more tender than usual? What did you do differently? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Not sure to be honest. This is only the second batch that i didn't foil.

I have no way of proving a theory, but I had always wondered if having a larger amount of meat in the cook helps with preventing moisture loss. I always pictured in my head the large professional cooks where they have a smoker filled with 300lbs of meat cooking away at 250; and wonder if the increased amount of vapor in the air helps prevent excessive moisture loss in the meat, in this case, ribs. But where the theory breaks down in my head is when you think about it, the vapor production during combustion is rather small in the grand scale of things, so the only other source for that vapor is the meat itself; exactly where you don't want to loose it from.

I'm very good about not peeking, and just getting them going, and leave the lid on. If there is any truth to that theory, then I'd imagine the moisture bump came from the large amount of pork shoulder cooking right underneath it.

But ultimately I know the number one reason that they came out moist and tender is that they weren't overcooked.

Tom, I also use briquettes for lit. When I had difficulty getting lump logs into the chimney was when I was starting a high temp cook which called for two chimneys of lit charcoal.

hey tom. Do you like the no foil? I've finnally (it was hard for me, lol) weened myself off foil... briskit, ribs, everything, no more. Mostly I used it w/ ribs, so i'll tell you my thoughts on them and maybe you could share w/ me? I just used it so much that when one day i didn't the texture on the outside is like 3 times better, no finishing on the grill, or pulling the cooker apart.. etc. no hassle at all and even when they were finished on the grill/pulled apart smoker it just wasn't the same thing at all. ....now on the other hand foil was a good way to add another level of flavor if desired, but I don't miss it at all. I think I finnaly found what suits me and that was more simplicity.. a heavy saltless rub that I like and ussually I experiment w/ sauces that would hopefully go w/ them when later (not sauced, just for serving). Dawned on me also one of my fav. ingridients is the smoke, i've been a slow learner, but I ussually make things that suit me pretty well on a regular basis now, FINNALY. I was reading through my old old posts and man, i struggled, still do sometimes, but not like that!

I don't see it as a "Texas Crutch", it does it's job when you want to finish quicker. I don't personally think it has any effect on flavor though.

For me, it was just a desire to simplify the process. I don't want to have to foil, then unfoil to finish. I'd rather cook them till just about done, then finish with a thin glaze. Alas, I cannot do much of a sugary glaze at this point.

Chuck-

Sounds like you're liking the Lazzari lump. Not sure if its similiar for you in your area, but it is next to impossible finding any sort of decent lump up here in the north bay. I know other guys have mentioned they like Hump Lump. I checked it out there is one place up in Redding that carries it, but that's a haul. My bro and I go through there a couple times a year when we go fly fishing, might have to stop by next time. I'm off work until 12th, I might just make a trip down to Brisbane and get some Lazzari. Wish I new someone who was going to SFO I would have them pick me up some.

Tom-good job on the cook. I haven't done anything in a few weeks. I'm aching to do something. I was thinking of doing a big cook on New Years Day just to cure the impending hang over and get some stuff in the freezer. The Mrs. and I have been on such a health kick the last 3-4 months not much queing been happening.

I almost always do my ABT's in the oven, but this time around, I smoked them, and will definitely do it this way in the future. The softness, and subtle smokiness they picked up was unbeatable, compared to the oven.

Oven? For a minute I thought you were serious
icon_wink.gif
please check your ABT law book..must be done on kettle/wsm/smoker....etc The oven cant touch the taste of that subtle smoke,esp if you just happen to have left overs...man they smell good the next day. Not sure where you are located but Ozark lump is a quality product as well.

Hey Tom,my first smoke earlier this year with lump was with some K charwood. It worked great and is really good for grilling also. HTH

Tom, if you're interested in getting some ECC I'd suggest signing-up for an account on www.komodokamado.com and posting in the pallet sharing section. There are several Komodo Kamado owners in the Bay Area that maybe you could get in on a share with. That's what I did with a woman in the Central Valley. My 22 lb boxes came out to about $16 a box. May seem a little steep however when you look at how long your burn times are it's actually cheaper than most good lump.

If you're ever in the Valley and want to pick some-up to sample I'd be happy to give you some.

Tom, I've used the Lazzari Mesquite lump years ago and really liked it. Wish I could get it here on the right coast. But Humphrey's serves me well, and really like their lump.
icon_smile.gif

I've tried the K charwood and the burn time was pretty short compared to Hump. The price was aslo steep at $7.99 for a 10 lb bag.

I can get the Charwood for $6 per 10lb bag. I don't mind the mesquite, but I would also like to streamline a bit. One fuel source would be better, rather than having to constantly buy two. If I can have a reliable product that doesn't spark like crazy, and doesn't leave a ton of ash, then I'd be happy. I just don't want to be searching for unicorn bone charcoal, and pay out the ear just for fuel.

Larry, thanks for the offer. I will have to check out that link as well. I have family in the LA area, but its still not worth it to drive clear to San Diego just for charcoal.

Yes, the ABT's will only be done in the WSM from henceforth.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Bryan S:
Tom, I've used the Lazzari Mesquite lump years ago and really liked it. Wish I could get it here on the right coast. But Humphrey's serves me well, and really like their lump.
icon_smile.gif

I've tried the K charwood and the burn time was pretty short compared to Hump. The price was aslo steep at $7.99 for a 10 lb bag. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I saw the Lazzari Mesquite Lump at my Safeway last week but didn't buy because I'd heard mesquite wasn't good for long cooks. Is that only true for mesquite smoke wood? This stuff was cheaper than K (6.99, or 7.99 - I can't remember).

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Larry, thanks for the offer. I will have to check out that link as well. I have family in the LA area, but its still not worth it to drive clear to San Diego just for charcoal. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Tom, their warehouse is in the West Lost Angeles area. There's another company that sells ECC who's has operations in San Diego but I'd stay away from their ECC; it's one of the ECC's that the Whiz has reviewed (not favorably by the way).

If you can get it I doubt you'll look back, I don't think I will as long as it's available. I use it exclusively for my smokes. With my first box I did the following with a little left over:
1 - 18.5 lb turkey
2 - Tri-tip cook
3 - Butt cook, 20 + hours
4 - Brisket cook, 17 hours

Ed C. went 26.5 hours on 2/3 of a ring of the stuff. It's a ***** to light but once it gets going it burns like crazy. There's a guy who went 85 hours on 16.5 lbs (at 225) straight in a ceramic cooker. Crazy burn times.

My office is currently in Orange County so next time rather than having it shipped I'll just pick some up when I'm in the office.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by JimK:
I saw the Lazzari Mesquite Lump at my Safeway last week but didn't buy because I'd heard mesquite wasn't good for long cooks. Is that only true for mesquite smoke wood? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Jim, Yes if using mesquite wood on a long cook IMO it can/tend to bitter on you. I only use it on shorter cooks, high heat briskets 4-5 hrs, burgers, steaks, Tri-Tips, etc.
I never have had, or heard any issues with the mesquite lump getting bitter on a long cook. I wouldn't think there would be any issues since most everything is burned off during the charcaol making process.
icon_wink.gif

Back