BGE or WSM

Kenny S

TVWBB Fan
I posted this in the new owner's section but I'd love feedback from you old pros as well. Is the WSM a big upgrade from smoking on the kettle? Is it worth the jump? Did any of you look at the BGE? Thoughts? Pros/Cons?

I have a Kettle and went with the WSM mainly due to price. My brother has a BGE and it is a nice piece of equipment but it is a very expensive piece of equipement. Since I already had the Kettle for grilling I went with th WSM as a dedicated smoker and saved the money. Incidently, having a smoker at home led to modify my Smokey Joe to the mini WSM for the camping trips. I guess I am just a Weber kind of guy.

I have been smoking on my kettle. Is the WSM a good upgrade? It seems as though they will hold a 10-12 smoke without fueling. Has that been your experience?

Not sure about the 18" (I have the 22") but I think 10 - 12 hrs is not going to be a problem. ...and if you need to go longer refueling is not an issue (install genie garage door handles and do the "hot squat").

I've had both.....the WSM and BGE are VERY different cookers

I don't do extra long smokes very often, so take my opinion with a grain of salt. I've had 4 WSMs and only cooked on one of them.........once. It was a 22.5" that I cooked about 5 racks of ribs on. The extra space is nice, but the big WSM can suck down the charcoal. I didn't see myself using it enough to warrant the HUGE footprint on my back deck, so I sold it shortly after it's only cook.......it was purchased used.

I don't have a dedicated smoker now, but do have a couple of kamados - a large BGE and a Bubba Keg. I've yet to do a low n slow on the BGE, but they're well-known for 20+ hour cook times without a fuss. Capacity is gonna be the issue with the BGE, unless you go for the XL (with it's 24 inch cooking grate). Plus the "Eggcessories" needed for getting the most out of your $1k rig aren't very cheap either.

I got a smashing deal on my large BGE - only 400 bucks, nest included - and it may had been used a half dozen times (?) before me. I've only used it once so far - cooks great. I wouldn't trade it for a WSM plus any amount of cash, but keep in mind that the WSM and BGE are VERY different cookers.

If someone is undecided between the kettle/WSM or kettle/BGE combo I always have them consider the 26.75" One Touch Gold. I have one of those too, and it's kind of the best of both worlds (high capacity grilling/large item smoking).

Last edited:
I have the 18.5" sitting in my den.

First of all what's it doing in your den??????:confused:

I have not used a BGE but I have a kettle and the 18.5 WSM They are both great. My biggest concern is smoking in the colder temps and the BGE hands down would be better in that regard. The WSMs have way more capacity and bang for the buck I'm happy with what I have. I just wish Weber would make an insulated WSM!:wsm:

W Tyler I have gotten pretty good smoking on my kettle but it is a lot of work. I really want something I can smoke on with out the hassle. I figure on BGE is going to cost me $1400 with the eggcessories. That is a big number in this economy. The 18.5 WSM at $299.00 seems like a bargain. I can get 4 8lb buts on it and I imagine that will be a huge smoke for me. I guess my real question is the BGE a much better grill than the kettle? Is the smoke better to the average mouth?

Haha. Fair question. my local Ace had one on the floor today so I went ahead and bought it. They don't store many and I figured it would be wise to get it. I think my kettle/WSM combo for $400.00 is a great value and should be the right combo. I just want to sleep on it since I had my heart set on an egg. I am having seven couples over this weekend and plan od doing two rocks of ribs, an 8 lb butt and a chicken so I imagine it will be fired up bright and early Saturday.

I don't think you will regret your purchase, again for the money I don't think you can beat the WSM. The kettles are simply awesome. They are all about versatility.

Seriously, if you can't drop a grand without caring, you shouldn't look at an egg or anything that expensive. The WSM is a much better value. $299 is a bargin. I have a WSM and a gasser. A WSM and a kettle is also a great combination. About the only thing I've considered an egg for is pizza and there are even ways to do that pretty well on a kettle. If money's no object buy them all, I'm sure it would be fun. For me, the value of the webers carried the day. The other thing that made me buy a WSM was this site. I started reading it just after I bought a cheap smoker. I chucked the cheap unit and got a WSM and am happy I did.

My brother in law (best cook I know) thinks the WSM is too $$$. He is kettle only. I think you made a good point. I also have a gasser, the Genesis.

Just my 2 cents here.... When I was shopping for my Performer, I went into Barbecues Galore. They tried to talk me into the BGE. I went home and did some research. The price was twice what my Performer cost, and that didn't even include the stand to put the BGE on. Also read of some users who had the BGE and it had developed a crack in it and BGE wouldn't replace it. They were told to seal it up with calking. Weber's customer support won't jerk you around if you get a defected product. If I had the money for a BGE, I wouldn't mind having one, but cost was out of my range and their warranties are questionable. Again... just my 2 cents.

I cooked a whole chicken (split) on my kettle last weekend. No one it would have been better on the BGE. That was when I really decided the WSM is probably the play. It is going to get fired up Sat at 6:30. It is really nice to get the Weber perspective. I joined this site because I wanted Weber feedback.

I have too many cookers, four eggs, a bubba keg, and I am a kettle collector it appears. I would say do the wsm first. That was my first smoker and I loved it. I gave it to a friend, sometimes wish I didn't. The portability is fantastic.

Kenny,

I know nothing about the Egg, but I have a performer kettle and wouldn't take anything for it. It's the best grilling machine I've ever had, and that's a lot! And I too bought an 18" wsm for the smoking edge. Yes, you can smoke on the kettle but limited amounts and not nearly as well when you master the wsm. Do I still use the kettle to smoke? Yes, when I need more than 8 racks of baby backs, which is rare indeed, but I can do 3 more on the kettle. But I can do 6 8 lb butts on the wsm and feed 90-100 depending on other factors. Plus, the indirect nature of the wsm makes if far superior to the kettle as a smoker, in my simple opinion. So I answer "yes", you won't find a better charcoal grill than a kettle, and "yes", the wsm is definitely worth the upgrade in smoking. These are just my opinions and not stated as orthodox fact, but I'm thrilled with my results.

Back