Best way to reheat pulled pork

Tom Stratton

TVWBB Member
The butts I finish on Sunday are destined for some friends over on Monday after work (of course I'll be taste testing!) I have a big roasting pan.......was planning on tossing the pulled pork in it, cover with foil and throw in the oven or my gasser ?????? Should I hit it with apple juice or something else to keep it moist?

Tom,

I have had good success in re-heating by putting the pork in Foodsaver bags and dropping them in a pot of boiling water. I then add any sauces as necessary after opening the bags.

Ray

I have done it before by saucing it as I pull it, then covering and refrigerating it over night, I warm it in the oven at around 220 before serving.

I would always prefer to use a couple of smaller disposable pans than one big one, as you can get them warm in a fairly short amount of time, and if you don't need it all, you didn't have it re-warming then cooling, then re-re-warming,etc.

The top issue for me in reheating is to not dry it out. I don't like to add any sauce to my pork until it is on the bun.

My #1 method is the same as Ray above. Foodsaver bags in boiling water works great.

My #2 method is the Microwave.

If these cannot be used, then oven works fine. I prefer to cover them when reheating.

-Matt

I have found that using a microwave to reheat certain foods (in this case, pulled pork) alters the taste a little. Do you use a lower than full power to reheat?

Reheating pulled pork in a microwave is best accomplished at low power (30% on a full-size oven), for a minute at a time, checking as you go for desired warmness. Don't try to do more than a pound or two at a time. A tablespoon or so of broth, vinegar sauce, apple juice, or even water-- per serving-- helps keep things moist.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Lindsey Maddox:
I have found that using a microwave to reheat certain foods (in this case, pulled pork) alters the taste a little. Do you use a lower than full power to reheat? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I should have mentioned that. Yes, I use a lower power to reheat pork. I usually use the microwave for heating a couple of sandwiches worth, so it doesn't take long. It is going directly from the microwave to my sandwich bun and getting a dollop of BBQ sauce on top...
icon_wink.gif

-Matt

Someone here posted a while back placing an ice cube of apple juice into the bags before freezing. Then dropping them in the boiling water. This works well for me.

Back