Best way to clean exterior of a kettle?

I'm looking to sell a WSM and a Performer, but I want to spruce them up a bit. Not terribly concerned with the interior (especially on the WSM) but more the exterior enamel. Would be nice if it looked pretty good.

I don’t know how bad yours is, but I have used plain white vinegar with pretty good results

I'm looking to sell a WSM and a Performer, but I want to spruce them up a bit. Not terribly concerned with the interior (especially on the WSM) but more the exterior enamel. Would be nice if it looked pretty good.
I just cleaned up a performer, Simple Green and 0000 steel wool on the outside should do the job. On the inside if its not to bad spray it with simple green use a razor blade to get the tough stuff off rinse then spray again and rub it down with the steel wool. You can get the performer bowl and lid looking like new if you want to put in the effort.

Simple green, windex, white vinegar 4x0 steel wool, finishing with paper towels to polish.
Cheap and not that miserable as some projects go. Remember, enamel is glass so, Windex works quite well.

Vinegar is acetic acid. It is corrosive. That's why it removes rust. It does NOTHING to grease, soot, etc. wash with warm water & mild soap solution. Regardless of the cleaner used make sure it is rinsed THROUGHLY and allowed to completely DRY WELL. DRY! Soap and water works. Vinegar, acid, plays he!! on metal. As does chlorine.(bleach)

Well. Vinegar (in this case) is being used as a cleaner for enameled parts and since enamel is glass, it’s just being used as a substitute for Windex. I do not see any reason for the corrosive bell to be rung too loudly on it, as for its acidic properties, commercial white vinegar isn’t too worrisome. Lemon juice in a marinade is equally acidic or vinegar in a mop sauce for that matter, I’m not seeing any reason for too much concern. Don’t soak your grates in vinegar for a week no, but under normal circumstances, it’s just fine.
Chlorine (or bromine) is another story completely. Back in my jewelry selling days I had a guy come in with an onyx ring that had a diamond set in white gold head ( you all know the type), the white gold was pocked and brittle almost falling apart. We had known the guy for a long time so the owner and I started chatting about what he had been doing that was different. He said he’d started swimming in his condo’s community pool and hot tub. We had lightbulbs go off over all three of our heads!💡💡💡
The pool chemicals had attacked the alloy and made the mounting brittle and it had begun to crumble! Lesson here? Do NOT wear fine jewelry in a pool or hot tub!

Last edited:
I also want to mention... if you have any sort of cracks or chips on the porcelain, don't use oven cleaner spray. It'll create even more damage around the already damaged areas.
This is true for colored kettles, like copper. Not sure about standard black.

I also want to mention... if you have any sort of cracks or chips on the porcelain, don't use oven cleaner spray. It'll create even more damage around the already damaged areas.
This is true for colored kettles, like copper. Not sure about standard black.
I would imagine that might happen with the cleaner getting underneath the enamel and causing it to ripple between the steel and enamel.

I've only used windex for casual cleanup or the SG and 0000 as others said for bad ones-cleans right tup

Back