Best smoked whole chicken?

CDellasega

I received a weber vertical chicken roaster and am anxious to try it out. What is the best rub and time/temp to smoke a whole chicken at? Thanks!

I agree with GGross, brine that chicken. Also, if you want crispy skin, go high heat. Are you cooking it on a kettle or WSM?

1419803139214_zpsoynf1ogi.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Rubs are personal preference, but brining and high heat (>325) are widely recognized as good approaches for chicken.

The Roadside chicken recipe looks great. Without a waterpan do you let the fat drip onto the coals or use a drip pan? Also wondering if cooking on the lower grate would be better due to fact that it will be hotter lower over a direct flame.

The Roadside chicken recipe looks great. Without a waterpan do you let the fat drip onto the coals or use a drip pan? Also wondering if cooking on the lower grate would be better due to fact that it will be hotter lower over a direct flame.

I cook on the top grate without a water or drip pan.

Doesn't that make a mess in the bottom of your WSM?

Not really enough to be concerned about. When I've done it I only have done single chickens using this method. IMO it's less work than cleaning up after using my rotisserie with a kettle. Try it. It will make you a believer.

Your dome temp/upper grate will be higher temp than your lower grate. Also the fat dripping as mentioned adds a nice flavor. I really like ribs done that way. Some like it, some don't.

Back