Best replacement thermometer

I've seen a picture on amazon where someone installed the river country 2 inch in the weber bezel on a 22.5. They had to expand the bezel hole and the thermometer hole to do it. It looked ok. There's maybe a 1/8 inch gap between the thermometer and the inside edge of the bezel. This gets my wheels spinning about putting a 2inch Tel Tru BQ225 with a 100 to 500 degree scale in the bezel. You'd have an even bigger gap. I'm not sure if it'd look stupid or not. Right now my Weber one (which I've replaced once) is still kicking but when this one dies I may try it.

Last edited:
All I'm saying is if I had to enlarge a hole, I wouldn't buy a hole saw. I would buy a Unibit.:)

Tim
Hmm..."that won't work" seemed pretty clear to me. :D

Anywho...the first time I made a 3/4" hole in a WSM for a therm, I used a 3/4" knockout punch, but that's kind of a specialty tool. Next, I used a Unibit/step drill bit and it worked fine. Next, I used a 3/4" hole saw because that's what was handy and it worked fine.

There are many ways to successfully make these holes!

Tel-Tru makes barbecue thermometers that can be adjusted. Any thermometer on this page with a model number ending in "R" can be adjusted.

I will say, however, that in my opinion it's a fool's errand to try to adjust a lid thermometer to reflect grate temperature, as I explained in this recent video:

Just watched your video - awesome. TY so much. As a total newbie to the WSM world, this is exactly the type of advice I need and also one of the main reasons I joined this website. Thanks again.

Back