Best or favorite chicken leg quarters recipe?

Brett-EDH

TVWBB Hall of Fame
Seeking some inspiration here, please.

Reply with your best or favorite chicken leg quarters recipe(s) here.

I have a pack to cook off and am looking forward to some juicy and the best parts of a chicken.

Pics are helpful. And a simple what you like most about your recipe.

I’m in the less is more camp these days, I’d give them a good rub (the kids have been fond of the McKormick brown sugar bourbon lately) and Vortex them.
I’ve yet to try Rich‘s KFC method but, soon.

I’m in the less is more camp these days, I’d give them a good rub (the kids have been fond of the McKormick brown sugar bourbon lately) and Vortex them.
I’ve yet to try Rich‘s KFC method but, soon.
i've done the KFC, in the oven. it was quite good for a non-fried chicken. i'm seeking a traditional style quarters cook tonight. almost like an early start to summer. that smoke, flavor, juiciness of grilled dark meat. too much winter here (yes, i know our winter is mild compared to many here), but we love eating and being outdoors. i even picked up little suntan yesterday from winetasting. it felt so good to be in the sun. invigorating!

i'll google that brown sugar bourbon rub. i'm assuming it's a sweeter profile?

i've done the KFC, in the oven. it was quite good for a non-fried chicken. i'm seeking a traditional style quarters cook tonight. almost like an early start to summer. that smoke, flavor, juiciness of grilled dark meat. too much winter here (yes, i know our winter is mild compared to many here), but we love eating and being outdoors. i even picked up little suntan yesterday from winetasting. it felt so good to be in the sun. invigorating!

i'll google that brown sugar bourbon rub. i'm assuming it's a sweeter profile?
It’s a bit sweet but, not overly so, commercially available anywhere.

One way I like to cook quarters is with an overnight marinade made with "Italian Salid dressing", soy, worchestershire, and chopped green onion.

I made this alot in the 80s and they are great leftover.

I don't buy Italian dressing any more so I just add some oil, vinegar and spices.

The only salt is from soy, and I use low sodium soy.

Sometimes I'll add garlic or ginger or both.

I'd cook these direct over charcoal on a kettle.

Apply a moderate coating of SPG (1:2:1/2), allow to sit for a half hour and then cook on the Santa Maria with B&B lump. I adjust so the temp is ~350 at grate level. No good to try and recreate unless you can cook over an open fire. It makes a huge difference.

Apply a moderate coating of SPG (1:2:1/2), allow to sit for a half hour and then cook on the Santa Maria with B&B lump. I adjust so the temp is ~350 at grate level. No good to try and recreate unless you can cook over an open fire. It makes a huge difference.
i can light up oak splits and use that. and it'll make its own coals too. this, to me is next level flavor grilling. 100% real wood and smoke.

One way I like to cook quarters is with an overnight marinade made with "Italian Salid dressing", soy, worchestershire, and chopped green onion.

I made this alot in the 80s and they are great leftover.

I don't buy Italian dressing any more so I just add some oil, vinegar and spices.

The only salt is from soy, and I use low sodium soy.

Sometimes I'll add garlic or ginger or both.

I'd cook these direct over charcoal on a kettle.
i love italian dressing marinade. i make my own. really leaning towards this style and over live fire.

Jump in, I will use a Dijon, Herbes de Provence Sherry slather (Jacques Pépin) that I saw years ago from his “fast food my way” series. He did it in the oven but, it lends itself to indirect grill cookery quite nicely. Now I have to find the recipe, not difficult pretty simple ingredient list but, it’s been a while and my memory has been known to forget something now and again!

i love italian dressing marinade. i make my own. really leaning towards this style and over live fire.
I start with a "robust" bottled dressing and then add a package of dry mix, maybe a few red pepper flakes, some black pepper, a little salt, sometimes some grated American parm...basically freeform supercharging the original dressing.

One thing I learned about leg quarters is that it helps to cut a hole in the skin at the inside of the thigh/drumstick joint, and then when grilling the chicken make sure the joint is opened up a little bit to help get that part of the quarter safely done. I picked this up from some PBS show featuring a French guy...Jack, I think his name is.;)

I start with a "robust" bottled dressing and then add a package of dry mix, maybe a few red pepper flakes, some black pepper, a little salt, sometimes some grated American parm...basically freeform supercharging the original dressing.

One thing I learned about leg quarters is that it helps to cut a hole in the skin at the inside of the thigh/drumstick joint, and then when grilling the chicken make sure the joint is opened up a little bit to help get that part of the quarter safely done. I picked this up from some PBS show featuring a French guy...Jack, I think his name is.;)
agreed on splitting open the portion. it does reduce the cook time as well. and yup, a properly temped chicken part too.

great idea on modding the ol standby. i'm trying to leave the office to go home and play with food.

This is one of my goto chicken recipes. Quick and simple to throw together and taste great.

Back