Best of the West lump

Steve Wene

TVWBB Member
Bought it at Sam's Club in the 40lb bag. I recommend everyone stay away from this lump. Not sure if I just got a bad bag or what, but this stuff is giving off a very strong fuel odor until fully lit (I mean completely burning).

I do not use lighter fluid at all, so I know it's not coming from something I added. This odor is so bad I even had a family member that would not eat a chicken breast because they said "it tastes like gasoline".

The best I can figure is the manufacturer used some sort of petroleun product to light the wood (smells like diesel fuel to me) and it's not comopletely burned away.

Just FYI, don't waste your money.

Thanks for the word of warning. There's been a pallet at the local Smart & Final at a great price, that I was tempted to try.

Yes, "Product of Mexico".

It is very sparky with a few pretty good pops here and there. In the 40lb bag there were at least 3 pieces that were HUGE, I'm talking over a foot long and 4 to 6 inches in diameter.

It definitley does get hot, but the review is correct, it does not last long, pops, big pieces and dust (no good size pieces).

The odor (and taste) I'm getting is definitley a petroleum product that does fade after all of the coal is lit and burning hot...on the down-hill side.

Steve,
Not sure about Sam's Club, but Costco will take returns on just about everything.
I'd try returning it.

It is really hard to beat Royal Oak and they carry it at walmart but not Sam's anymore
icon_rolleyes.gif

Question- are we talking BOTW Mesquite, or BOTW Hardwood? I agree that the mesquite is some pretty awful stuff, but their hardwood version is a strange mix from Argentina, and it is actually some very great lump. There was a food supplier here in MN that used to carry it $100 for 200#, but they are history. I'm very close tempted to place an order directly with Two Trees products, and pay their retail price # shipping, which would be quite spendy- $145 for 100#, shipped to MN. Really, it's that good!

Those of you in the St. Louis are SHOULD have grocery stores serviced by Associated Wholesale Grocers (AWG) and their "BEST CHOICE" brand

Those would be:
Price Chopper, Price Mart, Country Mart, Sun Fresh, IGA, Apple, Thriftway, Cash Saver and others...

If you can find a store they should have: Best Choice Natural Wood Lump Charcoal for about $4.99-$5.99 for 10 lbs.

http://www.nakedwhiz.com/lumpdatabase/lumpbag34.htm

AWG services about 19 states in the midwest from their TN, KS, MO, TX and OK warehouses.

I know BOTW mesquite is not the most consistent stuff, but out in my area it's hard to get lump for a cheap price. I know some of the pieces in the bags are humongous, I just break them up with a hatchet. Once you get past the shower of sparks that are sometimes emitted, the charcoal is great for grilling and leaves a great mesquite flavor for steaks, lamb, chicken and carne asada! I guess in short I think it's great for grilling. For low and slow, I'll use Trader Joe's/Rancher until they stop selling it.

I've used more than a few time's. Do i like it nope-way to much dust and small chip's in it for me. The only reason i bought it was, I was at a little market down the street from my house and dinner needed to be made. Does not smell bad but it pop's like crazy. Bill where in central cali are you?

I've used nothing but kingsford blue bag and never had an issue.

*shrug*

And thanks to this site, people at work think I am a bbq genius.

This stuff is great for grilling, and ya gotta love the price!

I'm on my 2nd bag, and while stronger in aroma than other lumps I've used, no "other than lump" smells to the stuff.
icon_smile.gif

I use BOTW and haven't had any problems. Its much better than Kingsford in my opinion. I used to use Royal Oak but I kept getting crappy bags so gave up on it, I thought they were going el chepo on us.

slightly off topic but I just picked up a 40lb bag for Frontier lump at Sam's for $10. They had a few bags in the back of the store that had ripped open. The rip was covered in tape and the bag still felt like 40 lbs so I picked one up to try.

Back