best lump charcoal

I swear by Wicked Good. Did a baby back cook yesterday, and the temp didn't budge from 240 deg for 5 hours.

I like mesquite lump for beef and oak lump for all else. There's a few brands available here on the left coast. Use for grilling and low and slow both.

Vince... Another central jersey guy here (Monmouth cty). I've tried most of what it available around here... Cowboy, kingsford, kingsford comp and a few others... Stubbs is by far my favorite. I feel it burns cleaner and doesn't ash up as much as the others.

Originally posted by Bryan S:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by LarryR:
I'm loving Frontier (American) Lump right now. Bought 14 (I think) 20 lb bags and I'm wishing I'd bought more. Having very good luck with it.
Heads up to those looking for the USA Frontier Lump. I saw it at BJ's Warehouse club last week. Made in Texas so I'm guessing it's some kick *** mesquite lump similar to Lazzari mesquite lump. Might even be made by them? Any way a 34lb. bag will only set you back $19.99 Cheaper than I can get my beloved Humphrey's Lump for. I'm going to pick up 5-10 bags and let you know. Might take me a year to post the results but I'll get back to yah!.
icon_rolleyes.gif

And to answer the question best lump.
I've used a lot of different lumps over the years and you old timers know how much I hate Kinsford so the best lump I ever used was Maple Leaf Lump that I used to order and have shipped to me from Canada. Second best and what I still use after 8 years is Humphrey's Lump. Just my opinion though.
icon_wink.gif

What makes good is a great hardwood to start with. Then a mixed bag from big pieces to small so it packs nice and tight. Mesquite wood makes great lump but I never use mesquite lump or smoke wood with anything other than beef. Just my personal preference. HTH </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I just saw that at BJ's this weekend also. Almost bought a bag, but held off for now. I've got a lot of K-Blue. So please let us know soon if you use it and how is it. Would maybe go get a back or 2. My previous experiences with RO was similar to others. Most of the bags seem to have a few dozen large chunks and then a whole lot of tiny pieces that won't stay in the basket.

Originally posted by LarryR:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Bryan S:
Might take me a year to post the results but I'll get back to yah!.
icon_rolleyes.gif
Good to see you on the boards man, don't be such a stranger . . . </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Agreed!

IMO, Cowboy is junk. I'll use it for high heat grilling, but only when I have to (it's widely available here in MD).

I've had great success with Humphreys. My only other slow and low option is BGE lump (see: Royal Oak at a premium). Thus, I use Humphreys.
icon_smile.gif

I'd love to try Wicked Good or some of the Kamado briquettes.

Here's a useful link:

http://www.nakedwhiz.com/lumpindexpage.htm?bag

Originally posted by Rob P.:
IMO, Cowboy is junk. I'll use it for high heat grilling, but only when I have to (it's widely available here in MD).

I've had great success with Humphreys. My only other slow and low option is BGE lump (see: Royal Oak at a premium). Thus, I use Humphreys.
icon_smile.gif

Here's a useful link:

Wicked good is now available at Ace Hardware free shipping to store.

http://www.acehardware.com/pro...p?productId=12791311

Originally posted by Rolf Jacobsen:
I’m pretty lucky in that I live about three miles from the BBQ Guru. They carry both Humphreys and Wicked Good so I can pick them up as I need them and don’t need to stock it. I’ve tried both and Wicked Good is the best IMHO. The only down side is some of the lumps can be very large and need to be broken up. I agree with the comments about Royal Oak. The domestic seems better but I’m always left with a lot of very small pieces. Cowboy I have never been fond of. Good Luck!
Rolf
Also Live within 15min of BBQ Guru, Wicked Good is exactly what it is called and more. should be called Bad A$$ charcoal, but I agree some of the pieces are still in huge log forms which need to be broken up, but like others had said, still better than too small...

Another vote for Wicked Good. It produces hardly any ash and lasts forever. I smoked a butt on the 4th that went for 18 hours. Still had half the charcoal ring of lump left to use.
I've grilled 3x now with remnants from that cook.

Stuff is unbelievable.
I'm just far enough from BBQ Guru that the gas it'll cost me to get out there doesn't make it any better than just ordering from them.

In a pinch I'll use Wegmans lump which is RO repackaged.

I'm a Humphrey's user for a long, long time. I would like to try Wicked though. Or Maple Leaf.

I don't really mind breaking up big pieces, you just have some gloves on and it breaks easily. One of the reasons I like Humphrey's is that it has the mix of size if you will as Bryan says above. You do need to break some up but usually not much. I use everything out of the Humprey's bag except the dust.

Thing is I really detest paying the single bag retail prices. I can buy "H" in bulk and typically buy 10 bags at a time at considerably lest than $20 bag retail prices.

I notice that Wicked Lump site offers bulk buyer opportunity through their sellers. I also like that it is 22lb bags.

I would definitely be interested in going in on someone or a group in the PA/NJ/MD/DE area that would want to go in on a pallet. I would sign up for as much as 10 bags.

A typical pallet is usually 40 bags I believe. You would need to agree to meet at the "drop point" and pick up your order. Hmm, might even be a fun party event. A "pallet party" if you will.

I only have a couple bags of Humphrey's left from my last buy so looking to do another run regardless.

Bulk Wicked Good

I would set this up for Wicked Good, also for Humphrey's (which would be easier). But folks would need to pay up front. I wouldn't want to get stuck. Each person would need to step up for a minimum of 10 bags (4 people to a pallet say). You could do your own split behind that.

Anyone interested? If this takes off we could move to another thread or offsite communication.

It would be cool if there was an area on this site though to arrange and communicate bulk buys.

IMHO people continue to use K blue and other "mixed wood dust" briquettes because they are so much cheaper and more readily found.If you had a reasonable chance to play with lump you would switch IMHO. Lump is more expensive regardless but it is more "efficient" if you will. It burns hotter and even longer and with 90% less ash. It smells good and in many cases adds enough smoke flavor without adding smoke wood. I could come up with a number of analogies - but won't digress
icon_smile.gif

But again - I've been a "lump bigot" since switching a long time ago.

Oh, I would never use Cowboy. Did it once. Done. It's trash IMHO and if that's your only experience you are missing out. Spend the $20 on any of the premium brands mentioned in the thread or on the reference posted to give a good premium lump a try.

Hey Scott just need two more for a pallet then I'll check out the details to see if we want to go through with it. The more the merrier we can also get more than one pallet.

I'll check on details with Wicked on Monday.

Originally posted by Robert Clark:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Rob P.:

icon_smile.gif

Here's a useful link:

Wicked good is now available at Ace Hardware free shipping to store.

http://www.acehardware.com/pro...p?productId=12791311 </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Good info! I'm across the bridge in Harford County. I buy Humphreys at the Short Stop on Rt 40 in Aberdeen. It's $11.99 a bag.

Yeah that's about what I pay. A little less but that was a year ago. I pick mine up in Pottstown.

I'd like to try Wicked Good for the next buy though to give it a good long run. I do like the fact that the WG bags (22lb) are actually heavier than the Humphrey's (18 lb).

At Pottstown Roller Mills (and other "mill" type sellers) you can get Humphrey's in 75lb bags too. And when you do the price drops a bit more. Typically I like the convenience of moving the smaller bags around.

Bryan S. used to buy his at Browns in Reading and I believe he had been doing the 75lb bags. BTW Brown's is very close to Fred's Music and BBQ in Sinking Springs. Cool place to visit, and they have a WIDE selection of lump brands to try. Retail of course but they pretty much have all the majors represented. Same as with everything else they sell.

Will see how many takers we get on a bulk WG buy. If we can't pull together a minimum 1 pallet buy I'll just stay with Hump lump and buy sample bag/s of WG and Maple Leaf.

If you buy a pallet, you have to find a shipping destination the shipping company will agree to. I'd verify the address first. You'll also need to be able to unload the truck fast either with a fork lift or pallet jack. If you try to unload it by yourself and it takes too long, the shipper may slap an additional fee on you. Just be aware of your responsibility as the receiver of the shipment.

Originally posted by r benash:
Hey Robert. I think I dropped some Humphrey bags off to you awhile back...

Only member dropping me off something was tri tip from Trueths. Can't remember who it was though. That was a loooong time ago.

Also, I think Humphreys largest bags are 40#.

Back