Best LITTLE gas grill outside Texas?

To tack on to this, I saw mention of rotisserie for these. Its hard to tell from google images, but is this sucker E-W? This could be my answer to rotisserie for my wife.
Actually the Q320 burner setup is quite nicely zoned for rotisserie as there is an E/W burner and a circular one around the edges to allow direct or indirect cooking with individual controls.

If I was you I would check out the Napoleon Phantom TravelQ 285 Pro camping gas grill.
You can do off side direct using one burner for heat or you can use both burners for hot grilling. Cast iron wave grates, I actually carry one in my RV for times when charcoal is outlawed in the forest. I've only used it once as I prefer charcoal. You can get the unit with or without foldable cart on wheels. Mine is just a table top. Could be exactly what you are looking for. And they are very well built. It's always nice to have options. Actually, when I'm camping up in the forest I use a Oklahoma Joes Table top grill smoker. Safest charcoal grill that I have found for dry weather conditions. Safer than a gas grill as far as I am concerned.
Well, hope that this helps, have fun with your selection.

Last edited:
If I was you I would check out the Napoleon Phantom TravelQ 285 Pro camping gas grill.
You can do off side direct using one burner for heat or you can use both burners for hot grilling. Cast iron wave grates, I actually carry one in my RV for times when charcoal is outlawed in the forest. I've only used it once as I prefer charcoal. You can get the unit with or without foldable cart on wheels. Mine is just a table top. Could be exactly what you are looking for. And they are very well built. It's always nice to have options. Actually, when I'm camping up in the forest I use a Oklahoma Joes Table top grill smoker. Safest charcoal grill that I have found for dry weather conditions. Safer than a gas grill as far as I am concerned.
Well, hope that this helps, have fun with your selection.
That Oklahoma Joe's® Rambler is an interesting little grill, but for portability it is hard to beat the Weber charcoal go-anywhere. The TraveQ is really nice but is there a rotisserie for it?

have fun with your selection.
This is the point! You came to the Weber house, of course we'll recommend that, but the real point is to do what fits you best. In our neverending battle over who will cook dinner tonight, I've started to take a position with my wife where I'm happier when I cook the stuff I like to cook, the way I like to cook it. Hence the recent rotisserie renaissance. The point is, find what fits you best, because when you do you'll be most likely to use it and to enjoy yourself too. It's a win win!

Yea Joe, the Weber go anywhere portable is much more portable & lighter. It must weigh 5 lbs? But it doesn't come close to the grilling- low & slow smoker that the Oklahoma Table top is. Plus I see it being much more safe in dry grass or windy conditions that the Weber is. And at 50 lbs it doesn't get kicked around by high winds & rain when the weather kicks up. And at high elevations the chimney on the Oklahoma Joe helps with charcoal control. The draw of the chimney makes it easy to low & slow like 4-5 hrs for ribs. Plus I have just enough room to carry it in my RV.
I believe that the Napoleon gas grill is around 40 lb. And of course you need a 20 lb propane tank. LOL

The Napoleon is built sort of like a regular full sized grill that was shrunk down rather than one engineered from the start as something "different" as the Q series is. Doesn't mean they're not good (maybe great) but IMO the Qs take the cake for imaginative design to a small(er) device

Could be the answer... but as many grills as you guys have... anyone with a Napoleon XT 365?
Would be interesting to hear how it stacks up to the Q or a similar Spirit.
(I think I'm already sold more on a Q than a Spirit anyway...)

LMichaels says that Pro 285 is a downsized gas grill from their bigger units.
Well, isn't that what the man says he wanted to use on his small deck? The Weber Q grill looks like something that you would take to the park every Saturday. And it doesn't look as heavy built as the Napoleon unit. Where is the metal? You would never sell me a Weber Q over the Pro 285. You can get the lids higher on the 285, get chickens & what not in there much easier. Esp since it will be left on the patio full time. Shop wisely, I always do.
When I bought mine last spring I went over all these grill for a couple of months before I decided on the Napoleon. It doesn't matter to me what the brand name is on the unit. But alot of people on this site says that it has to be Weber, even if it is substandard to other units. To each his own.

Q-320’s are amazing grills, bullet proof! Easy to use, easy to clean. Could not recommend one enough for your application. Warming rack offers ability to do a lot of other stuff as well, I always throw a load of garlic bread up there and use the Q like an oven, I personally don’t think any gas grill does veggies better.
Good luck

Well, isn't that what the man says he wanted to use on his small deck? The Weber Q grill looks like something that you would take to the park every Saturday. And it doesn't look as heavy built as the Napoleon unit. Where is the metal? You would never sell me a Weber Q over the Pro 285. You can get the lids higher on the 285, get chickens & what not in there much easier. Esp since it will be left on the patio full time. Shop wisely, I always do.
When I bought mine last spring I went over all these grill for a couple of months before I decided on the Napoleon. It doesn't matter to me what the brand name is on the unit. But alot of people on this site says that it has to be Weber, even if it is substandard to other units. To each his own.
The only downsides I see to the 285 is that there are no side shelves unless you get the cart and very few if any 3rd party extras. It does have double the warranty and 2 zone cooking.

Joe,
The reason that I bought my Pro 285 is because it didn't have shelves. No room for that in my RV storage area. Our grills sit on a camping table which provides way more space than a couple small shelves that are attached to a gas grill. I believe this guy wanted one with small wheels to move around on his small patio. And the 285 cart provides the shelves then. Just like he wanted. As far as the longer warranty obviously better quality.

You make it seem like I put that out there like a "bad thing". I did not. Simply an observation. Frankly I DO think the Q3xx is going to be far more versatile but you disagree. It's fine. For what I want that size grill to do it's perfect. Even down to being able to do a nice rotisserie cook. Glad you like your 285. BTW I don't think it's what he indicated he wanted. He wanted something effective and versatile. I still give that vote to the Q3xxx hands down. As for side shelves. On the Q, they're removeable, or they fold down. One can CHOOSE to use it however one wants rather than it being a "take it or leave it". And BTW watch my posts Weber fan boy I am not. I just think it's an overall better product in this instance.
One of the reasons I used to love Weber products is they were imaginative. Willing to break the mold. It's why the Genesis was named the "Genesis" because it was not the same old same old like it is now. Now? There is absolutely nothing compelling to purchase a Genesis. There is nothing out of the ordinary. The old ones (true Genesis) could do so much so well. New ones? MEH

You guys have given me a lot of food for thought. What's pretty clear is that no one here is recommending any Spirit, which was my going-in position.

And even if a Genesis came in the size I need, no one is recommending any of the later-model Genesis grills anyway. I guess it's possible that a new Genesis line will come out in 2022... (what month are they normally launched?)

Broil Master sounds like a good, if expensive option... but not sold in the UK. So that's out.

And although the Napoleons look interesting, what's notable is the passion that all you grill-geeks have for the Q3200. And that says a lot. So I'll probably start with that one and try to re-jig the wheels to fit my needs. (It also seems a more versatile option than the 285.)

If you have any other thoughts, throw them at me. And I'll let you know my verdict once I get it all togther. Thanks.

If by some fantastic happenstance you could find an old genesis jr. otherwise sounds like the q has lots of fans!

Thanks, Bruce. I guess there's no harm in waiting two months to see what comes out in early 2022. Maybe they'll resurrect the Genesis Junior.
I do find it interesting that no one has even mentioned the Spirit. Is it just crap compared to the Q?

Wayne, I have never been to London but understand that the weather can be quite damp there. The Spirits can have issues with the bases rusting out which could be an issue for you if it is outside year round. The aluminum/plastic Q3200 might be better suited to your situation in that respect. Like others here, I have several gas and charcoal grills and have said on this forum before, if I could only have one grill it would be the Q3200.

Back