Best Dang Steak Technique i have found

I tried this with some USDA Prime ribeyes I had, but I only salted normally, and only let sit for about 15 minutes while my gasser warmed up. After 15 minutes I wiped away the salt left on the surface, peppered the steaks, and slapped 'em on the grill. The salt level was perfect - any saltier would've been unpalatable.

Bill, I did exactly what you did, my sirloin was about 1 1/4 to 1 1/2" thick. After rereading the blog I may have salted a little heavy and let set a little long for that size. I could see where some would consider too salty. I figure just a little less time or less salt would do the trick. I also rinsed well, patted dry, and peppered. The steak was more juicy than the previous night only prepped with Montreal seasoning just before cooking.

For those that find it too salty, try just salting like you normally do. that's the method I do, not the steamykitchen way. I actually learned this method because of a video on Cooks Illustrated website where they had a time lapse video showing the initial salt, then the surface being really wet, then the surface less wet after the steak reabsorbed a lot of the water.

I just salt like I normally would, but let it do it's thing. That way there is no way to over salt it because I don't use more than I normally would. Everyone likes a different level of salt.

Pat it dry, reverse sear it and enjoy your steak. I of course do not do this when I buy the dry aged prime steak stuff. No need to draw any more moisture out of those steaks.

I tried this last night with 6, 3/4" select NY Strips. I should have kept one unsalted as a control but didn't think of it at the time. I laid the salt on pretty heavy, let them sit for a beer or two and rinsed.

I cooked them to medium well,(not my choice) and normally I think that would have left them dry and tough. They were surprisingly tender and juicy but way too salty. I plan on trying this method again but with less salt and one steak left "untreated".

No need to draw any more moisture out of those steaks.
I do. The moisture reabsorbs along with the salt, the point of this approach in the first place. As you note, there is no reason to salt heavily then rinse. Salt as you normally would salt a steak that was cooked and served to you sans salt -- both sides. Then let time do its thing.

Had another thought this week. Local store has been running a too good to pass up deal on a whole Prime beef tenderloin on holidays, supposed to do again for Father's day.

Any recommendations on trying this on prime tenderloin steaks? (will cut into steaks, not cooked whole). Wouldn't want to take any chances on this one!

I would do what I just suggested: salt no more than you normally would, both sides; leave to sit at room temp 60-90 min; apply additional seasoning as desired; cook.

Ok what about just using meat tenderizer instead of the salt. Isn't this the same principle to break down the meat so it is more tender. I believe meat tenderizer is 99% salt and 1% something that actually tenderizes the meat. I wonder if u could do the same and rinse it after an hour with even better results? Worth a try...

Personally I avoid meat tenderizer and MSG as a matter of personal choice. Some believe there are potential health effects, I do not recall all of the details.

Ok what about just using meat tenderizer instead of the salt. Isn't this the same principle to break down the meat so it is more tender. I believe meat tenderizer is 99% salt and 1% something that actually tenderizes the meat. I wonder if u could do the same and rinse it after an hour with even better results? Worth a try...

the tenderizing enzyme will only work on outside of the meat, leaving the exterior mushy. The nice part about letting the meat come to room temp first is that it allows the natural, internal enzymes tenderize the entire steak. when done properly a steak will have a nice toothsome chew and not require any additional tenderizing.

Personally I avoid meat tenderizer and MSG as a matter of personal choice. Some believe there are potential health effects, I do not recall all of the details.

I wouldn't worry too much about either, ones got a scary name and one does funky things to meat, but neither are anything that can't be regularly found in most things we eat.

the tenderizing enzyme will only work on outside of the meat, leaving the exterior mushy. The nice part about letting the meat come to room temp first is that it allows the natural, internal enzymes tenderize the entire steak. when done properly a steak will have a nice toothsome chew and not require any additional tenderizing.
Exactly. As noted upthread, the salt does little in the way of 'tenderizing'. Tendernesss comes from the cut of meat itself, and/or from allowing the meat to sit out and warm. The salt seasons the interior of the steak -- and that's the point.

Originally posted by K Kruger:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">No need to draw any more moisture out of those steaks.
I do. The moisture reabsorbs along with the salt, the point of this approach in the first place. As you note, there is no reason to salt heavily then rinse. Salt as you normally would salt a steak that was cooked and served to you sans salt -- both sides. Then let time do its thing. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>I have never had the steak reabsorb all the moisture though. Even if leaving for quite a while, I still see quite a bit of moisture sitting in the outside.

Maybe I'll give it a try with two dry aged steaks and see if there is any difference.

I did this technique on Sunday with a couple of 3/4" KC Strip Choice steaks. They turned out great. Since they were small, I used the 1/2 tsp for 15 minutes method, along with garlic powder and rosemary. If I had let it sit longer, I think it could have been too much salt.

The other thing I tried was flipping the steaks every 30 seconds. Men's Health had a tip that flipping every 15 seconds over very high heat allows the steaks to cook more evenly and retain more moisture. I did 30 seconds and it really worked well. I just need to improve my estimating on how long 30 seconds really is. I took my steak to medium instead of medium rare accidentally. My wife's was well-done, just the way she likes it.

Try the frequent flipping over high heat. It really works well.

Tried this technique last Saturday with a 1 1/4" choice ribeye and a 3/4" sirloin. Both my wife and I really enjoyed the tenderness and the flavor. A little saltier than normal but I think a slight adjustment would fix it. I read about this technique a year ago and was hesitant but I really enjoyed it.

I tried it today with a couple thick 1.75" chuck eyes, and to me it tasted just like it would if you covered it with salt and didnt rinse, much too salty for my taste...My wife basicly told me, in a nice way, that it was not very good. I agreed. Next time I will try letting the meat set out to warm for a half hour, then salt for a half hour, then rinse and cook. For the wife I will just cook her favorite and not subject her to the experiments
icon_wink.gif

Honestly I like my steaks with more then just salt and pepper these days, and I cant add a rub w/salt to a presalted steak without guessing how salty it will end up....so, I'm thinking I can avoid all the confusion, and just coat with olive oil, then rub with a great seasoning (someones red eye) and let it sit for an hour or more, before slapping it on the grill. This way maybe some osmosis will occur from the salt in the rub, yet not overpower, and still get the great flavors from a rub (with salt included). Sorry if it sounds like a rant, been drinking a bit. It does make sense though dosent it?

Seriously guys, if you find it too salty do not do the heavy salt and rinse method. Just salt like normal but let it sit for an hour.

Seriously guys, if you find it too salty do not do the heavy salt and rinse method. Just salt like normal but let it sit for an hour.

or salt right before grilling, just don't omit the hour or so to warm.

I put 1.25" ribeyes on a counter with ambient temps close to 80* for an hour and a half and the center was 55* on the thermapen. I think Kevin mentioned upthread that he counters steaks for 2-3 hours, I might want to go hunting for that.

Originally posted by Joe Dang:

But isnt that the point of the best dang steak technique?
icon_biggrin.gif
What you describe is just the "way I've been doing it" technique
icon_wink.gif
I had to try the method as described, but it turned out too salty, for me and alot of people it appears.

Back