Best Dang Steak Technique i have found

Originally posted by Mark R-S:
I followed these instructions with zeal, literally burying the steak in salt and leaving it there for an hour. I remember thinking as I was buring the meat in salt that I can't imagine this turning out well. I was right. When the meat was cooked it felt like it had rigamortis, and was so salty that I just couldn't eat it and it ended up in the bin.
-Mark.
I don't profess to be a chef or anything close to one, but my layman's perspective from what I've seen and read is that the salt isn't the key factor. Yes, you do use some salt, but I think the key in this method is leaving the steak out at room temp for at least half hour, longer if you have the time. The way I understand it is that leaving the steak out allows the meat to cook faster to the center leaving a juicier steak with more rare/medium rare meat as opposed to a thick ring of well done meat with a small pink middle. A normal amount of salt does draw out some moisture, but it is that bit of moisture that gives steaks that nice crust that we like. JMO, again just from what I've read

Back