Best Dang Steak Technique i have found

Anyone think this might work on a London Broil (top round) Publix on sale this week $2.27 USDA choice) How'd you cook it on the OTG?

I've really become a fan of salting, either covered and rinsed as I first saw Larry post or just normal and let sit as Kevin describes. This also is a tasty alternative.

I tried this on some 3/4" 1 lb rib-eyes this weekend. Salted with Kosher, wrapped in plastic and sat on the counter for one hour. Rinsed, added fresh ground pepper and a little gran. garlic and onion powder. Due to taking with the neighbor they were cooked to medium instead of medium rare (sorry no pics) but SWMBO said it was the most flavorful steak I've cooked, I thought it was really good.

Originally posted by Jerry Pollard:
Anyone think this might work on a London Broil (top round) Publix on sale this week $2.27 USDA choice) How'd you cook it on the OTG?
Go for it. I cook Top Round all the time and certainly will next time.

Originally posted by Jerry Pollard:

Sure it will work, but.....I'm a big fan of doing a Reverse Sear on London broil (top round cut). HERE's an example.

Would this technique benefit a flat-iron steak? I've found some at Whole Foods for $4/lb and was curious how effective it would be based on the steak's cylindrical shape and lack of thickness.

Originally posted by russell swift:
Would this technique benefit a flat-iron steak? I've found some at Whole Foods for $4/lb and was curious how effective it would be based on the steak's cylindrical shape and lack of thickness.

Can you take a pic? From the way you describe....it sounds like an eye of round steak.....

But, you state it's 'lack of thickness'...in that case I would suggest cooking it quickly, versus a reverse sear.

I'm thinking similarly. Can't quite get the cylindrical thing.

Properly cut flat irons are thin when they are cut but because the grain runs lengthwise seize then shrink considerably wen heat is applied. This makes them end up being a nicely thick steak after cooking.

I love hanger. It can be hard to get. Sure, salt and rest first. Cook only to med-rare and slice somewhat thinly.

Our local grocery store carries what they call "charcoal steak." I'm assuming this is a local name for a chuck or arm cut. I'm planning on trying this salt technique on these cheaper steaks before I try it on an $8/lb ribeye.

Well I used the technique on the charcoal steak. It came out VERY juicy, just a bit salty for my taste. Next time I'll cut the salt time in half. I'd say the technique works well...just err on the side of less time so you don't ruin a nice piece of meat.

Next time I'll cut the salt time in half.

The time is operative

up thread, I threw in my two cents, and to review, my steak do fine as long as I let it sit out at room temp for an hour or more. I typically salt it while I'm warming the grill. From this observation, I'd say the key to the technique has more to do with the pre-warming than the pre-salting. I'll remain skeptical about the impact of the brine effect that this technique is supposed to achieve.

I am a big proponent of brining lean meats like pork loins and poultry breasts, but I'm not sure how much you'll gain when working with a well marbled, flavorful cut of say a rib roast.

Start with a well marbled, thick steak (>1.5",)
pre-warm (>1 hour),
properly salt,
sear,
finish indirect to med-rare,
amen.

I typically salt it while I'm warming the grill. From this observation, I'd say the key to the technique has more to do with the pre-warming than the pre-salting.
Correct. The salting ahead of time is to flavor the meat's interior. It is the warming that increases tenderness due to the enzymatic action within the meat, which quits at 105 or 120, depending on the enzyme in question.

I tried this technique on a Prime NY Strip Steak from our local HEB store. It was saltier than most steaks that I eat, but that wasn't a bad thing. After every juicy, tender bite, I thought to myself "this is the BEST steak I have ever eaten". I will definitely do this again! Thanks for the information!

Well I got around to try this method. Tri Tips were on sale for 2.99, two per pack (clealy Select).

With one I did a wet rub in the morning and let it sit in the frig all day.

Late afternoon I salted (sea salt) the other and let both sit out on the counter for an hour.

Cooked both up doing a reverse sear and both my wife and I preferred the wet rub one as it had more flavor.

It's possble I didn't apply enough sea salt so next time I'll add some more and give it another try or it's possibe with the thicker tri tip (compared to a steak) more counter time may be necessary.

John

ironic timing to find this thread, I had a sirloin that was too big for one meal, so I cut in half last night and grilled the usual way. Tonight I tried this method. Notable difference, excellent flavor! I will definitely do some more experimenting with this.

One of the great things about this forum is that it stirs me to experiment. Being a steak fanatic, I had to try this technique based on all the positive feedback. I didn't like it. The steak was too salty. I heavily salted both sides of a ribeye, left on the kitchen counter for about an hour, rinsed thoroughly then pepper and cooked. Did I miss something?

Anyway, for those that haven't tried it, in the Weber charcoal cookbook, try Mike's award winning rub, which is less salty and worlds better.

Regards,

Bill

Back