best BBQ chicken?

Don NICKLES

TVWBB Member
what do you guys do? (cut, marinade, rub etc)?
I have been doing drumsticks, high heat on the WSM with no water. I am just using a store bought rub from KC masterpiece. ANy other recommendations? I tried boneless ,skinless breast using some salt and sugar brine but they came out watery or something.

Don,
Welcome to the board. You might want to look in the recipe section under Poultry for ideas. There are so many different ways to do chicken the thread could go on forever!
Personally i do whole chickens. Other than leg quarters it's the most economical way to buy them. I will buy breats when they are on sale. Plus i like dark meat and my wife likes white. I usually cut the backbone out with shears,break the breatsbone so they lay flat. Brine 90% of the time. After that it's wide open.

When I do BBQ chicken, I start off naked (the chicken, not me) and cook over direct heat turning often until the chicken gets a good color and starts to crisp. Then during the last 10-15 minutes of cooking I baste the chicken with a sauce with whatever rub or seasonings I would have put on the chicken. Doing it this way gives the chicken a nice color and skin, without burning all of the seasoning off.

I typically do not brine chicken if I'm grilling, however I will if I'm smoking.

for a whole chicken I would suggest some type of Beer can cooking. there are devices that hold the can, there are also plates that include a "can" and even others that have a can AND a drip pan. {or just put the can in and balance the chicken on the can and legs.

I smeared my chicken with s thin coat of butter then added a dry rub. If you want to make your own, checking with Larry for a recipe is the way to go. If you want to us a pre-made rub I would suggest Texas rub {you can find links here for their website}

cook it up and enjoy the most tender chicken you will ever have.

the "store bought" rubs need to be checked for ingredients, if SALT is first, you will probably find it too salty

Don, I like this one.
icon_biggrin.gif

Roadside is the best chicken I have ever eaten or cooked but I am looking for a more classic BBQ chicken recipe to compete with it.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Don NICKLES:
Roadside is the best chicken I have ever eaten or cooked but I am looking for a more classic BBQ chicken recipe to compete with it. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Have you ever turned in RS chicken? Just asking. You never know?
icon_wink.gif
If I ever do a comp, which is very un-likely, I will do RS chicken for my turn in.
icon_biggrin.gif

I worded that wrong. I am going to serve food to about 15 people. I am going to cook the Roadside chicken thighs after marinading them for 2 hours (did this on July 4th and everyone LOVED it)but I also want to serve a more traditional BBQ chicken along side of it. My hat's off to you that is a great recipe!

Dark meat is hard to mess up. Marinade if you want, then take your chicken, sprinkle one side with bbq rub and sear that side until you get dark BROWN (not black/burnt) marks. Now sprinkle rub on the other side and flip. Again cook till you have nice dark brown grill marks. Then move the chicken to indirect until it finishes (around 170-175 degrees. Once on indirect you can mop some bbq sauce on. I wouldn't use store bought sauce as they all taste the same (boring). Making a random tasty sauce is dead easy and it adds variety.

White meat is the same technique but it's vital not to let it overcook at all. Make sure you pull between 150-155 degrees. After that, your meat will be dry. You might be able to rescue it by simmering in bbq sauce, and pulling it for sammies, but that's it.

Back