Best accessories to start?

Personally, I couldn't bring myself to pay almost $100 for a thermometer (although I'm sure they're worth that for professional cooks), so I dropped $25 on the Lavatools Javelin. Works just as well for 1/4 the price.

I can agree with that, I had a hard time doing it too, but I also was tired of not trusting other thermometers either. When I figured out how much I've spent on other types, I just bit the bullet and got one. Turns out there is a reason that they are rated the best by America's Test Kitchen. It is a professional tool.
Thermoworks also sells cheaper models: http://www.thermoworks.com/Pocket-Digital?tw=VWB

I DO NOT work for thermoworks, nor am I sponsored by them in any way. I just like their products.

I learned a long time ago that many times the more expensive tool is the most cost effective tool. In other words, it could be the best tool for the job. In my work I have found that over time I spend less if I buy the better tool. I have two of the Thermopens and would not want to live without them when I am cooking. I also have no connection with Thermoworks. Another way to look at this is, why do we spend more money on a WSM instead of buying a cheap brinkman or other cheap smoker. In other words, we want something that will last a long time and work well. In other words, the best value for the money. Just my twenty cents (adjusted for inflation).

I can agree with that, I had a hard time doing it too, but I also was tired of not trusting other thermometers either. When I figured out how much I've spent on other types, I just bit the bullet and got one. Turns out there is a reason that they are rated the best by America's Test Kitchen. It is a professional tool.
Thermoworks also sells cheaper models: http://www.thermoworks.com/Pocket-Digital?tw=VWB

I DO NOT work for thermoworks, nor am I sponsored by them in any way. I just like their products.

AWESOME suggestions, everyone. You're all going to make my husband very happy!!

Morgan, you are the perfect wife...your husband is a lucky man! Plus, you had the good sense to get him, in my opinion, the best affordable smoker on the market today. I've only had my 22.5 WSM for 4 months now, and have already smoked a lot of meat on it. And, I have also smoked meat on about every kind of smoker made, for $1500 or less, in the past 35 years. When I replaced my stick burner this year, I looked at two things...ease of use, and a smoker that would give me the same quality of smoked meat that I could get on the stick burner. The WSM was the only one that met that criteria. I also looked at the XL Big Green Egg, but chose the WSM over it. For one thing, I could buy 3 of the 22.5 WSMs, for less than 1 XL BGE.

I believe your husband will love it! Good luck to him, and I'm sure you'll get to enjoy some great smoked meat! :wsm:

If you truly mean "right away", as in the day you give it to your husband he'd want to start smoking :wsm:, you'll want to consider a few other things beyond the excellent advice you've already gotten:

Make sure the WSM is assembled ... either do it yourself if you're comfortable with basic assembly, or buy locally already assembled. I bought mine through Amazon and it comes unassembled (and unfortunately needed some replacement parts - Weber's customer service took great care of me, but it added a week before I could use it). Assembly isn't difficult, but takes a little time - don't ask me how much time/alcohol it took for me to get the rubber temperature-probe gasket into the gasket hole.

Look at the recipes here and decide what he'd want to cook first (or maybe what you want to eat first - feel free to admit this is a gift for you too :p) - and ideally not something that is a long 12-hour cook like brisket or pulled pork. My first cook on my WSM was the "basic baby back ribs" recipe, which came out great. Make sure you've gathered all the ingredients. For smoke wood, probably easiest to buy a bag of Weber smoke wood, pick the one closest to the recipe you choose. And make sure you give him enough time (plus some extra, since it'll take some time for him to absorb the instructions and do things for the first time) before dinnertime.

Of course, maybe you don't mean "right away" like that, in which case all of the above doesn't apply. Either way, I'm sure he'll enjoy the WSM - and you'll enjoy the bbq too :D.

Morgan...

Part of what makes BBQ so enjoyable, is the Journey. If one rushes to the finish, they totally miss that Enjoyment !

Update:

I ordered the 22 today, along with the chimney starter recommended in this thread. My husband has a Weber dual probe thermometer already (I think it's this one: http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B00FLRBMU4/tvwb-20). Will that work well? He has heavy duty tongs and spatulas with long handles already so I think we're good there.

Putting the WSM together will be part of the gift. There's no more beautiful phrase to this guy than "some assembly required".

I'll have a fresh chicken and some wings on hand for him to smoke right away. We also have a brisket in the freezer if he wants it. I've read that some people think you should season it with fatty meat scraps the first time - what's the majority opinion around here on that? I recently picked up some apple wood chunks at the farmer's market if he wants to use those the first time.

I don't drive, so we'll have to pick up charcoal together. No biggie as I've already instructed him to work from home the day after he will receive this gift, so we'll have time to run that errand before he fires it up for the first time.

MickHLR, my husband certainly is a lucky guy, even though I'm not a perfect wife. I do try to make him happy. And I think this will make him VERY happy.

I'll give him a link to this site on Thursday night after his new WSM is in his hands. Thanks all for such great suggestions!!

Morgan,
I would be worth doing one load of coals through the new WSM with some fatty pieces or bacon. It would be good to knock off some of the oils and stuff from the manufacturer with some heat. The fatty pieces will help to season the cooker, but it will take a few cooks to really junk it up and seal it, but cooking things like chicken after that first round will help to seal it. I don't think anything is wrong however cooking a meal right out of the box, but it will be a little tough to control the temperature especially with the first cook.

Adding to the suggested list..

Get a 20 gallon rubbermaid container with a very strong tight fitting lid. Use it to store BBQ things like bags of smoking wood, paraffin cubes, the probe thermometer, leather gloves, etc.
Find a local restaurant supply store. Buy several heavy duty aluminum rolled edge half sheet-pans for BBQ.
Also at the restaurant supply store. Get a food service size roll of wide, heavy duty aluminum foil!!!! (I keep mine in the rubbermaid container!)
Weber's locking tongs. Some of the best tongs I have owned and can deal with picking up a whole rack of ribs or moving around a packer brisket.
A large galvanized metal bucket with tight fitting lid for collecting ash.
Large metal scoop / hand shovel from the hardware store for handling ash.
Look around for a telescoping all-metal back scratcher or mini-spatula. They work great for stirring hot coals!

Last edited:

Back