Belated Intro

Bill

TVWBB Super Fan
I don't usually do the intro thread, but for some reason, felt like it here. Even though I've already done some posting.
Anywho, here's the skinny on me.
Currently 37, married, one child(6yo girl) and work in Law Enforcement(agency policy prohibits specific identification online).
Both of my parents are from St. Louis(I was born in the South), so growing up, when dad did bbq, there was sauce. As such, I too like sauce on my bbq(even though being in TX, it's frowned upon).
my first grill after moving out of the nest was the foreman outdoor grill. it worked(gave to my sister, so I can verify it still does), but I missed the "true grilled taste". when I got married, my FIL bought me a Char-Broil "Big Easy"(this was 10yrs ago and it was one of the first gen dual grills, lp and charcoal..used a removeable ss setup for doing charcoal in the body). I used it frequently.
About a year or so after getting the Char-Broil, I discovered the BBQ Bible..etc by Stephen Raichlen at Half-Priced books. After doing lots of reading, I was looking into getting a smoker. Mentioned this to my dad as an aside and he wound up springing to get me a "Bandera smoker". Loved that thing. used it frequently and even did a whole hog for 24 hrs.

shot it, cleaned/skinned it myself.
sadly, my bandera and my big easy got bit by rust cancer and had to go. replaced them with a Char-Broil Commercial series 4burner gasser from Lowes a few years ago. Loved the convenience of gas and have been happy w/the grill.
a few months ago, started getting the smoker bug again. originally wanted an electric(for the set it and forget it). so I started doing some internet research. in the price range I was looking at, every single electric I checked out had some horror stories. I didn't want to take the chance of dealing w/that, so I started looking at other options.
Finally decided on getting a WSM and after some headaches w/ordering, currently have a 18.5" WSM on the way.

Just a side note, after much time spent reading threads here, when my Char-Broil gasser finally gives up the ghost, it's replacement will be a Weber of some type(not sure if charcoal, gas or both :))

Anyway, that's my short story

Welcome aboard Bill! You have got the king of smokers coming your way! You will
really enjoy it and if you have any questions feel free to ask. Everyone on this board
is very knowledgeable, friendly and willing to help!

Welcome Bill sounds like you have a lot of experience looking forward to your posts with the WSM and pictures. I just joined the Weber family a mos or so ago with a Performer Gas Assist charcoal. Works great. Then a couple weeks after that I purchased a 22.5" WSM. Love both of them. They really "snuff" out the coals to save money. Something the Chargriller was unable to do without some major mods. The WSM is a steady smoker. No tending is really necessary.

Hi Bill,

A belated Welcome to the Family. :wsm:
On my off-hours... volunteer for an agency, mainly in the logistics /comms section.

Bob

Back