Beer Can Chicken

So here was my first attempt at Beer Can Chicken.

On the Smoker!
precook.jpg

I didn't take any pictures in the middle of the cook.

Here it is off the Smoker.
IMG_0617.jpg

Overall the Chicken was good. The skin was like rubber, but i knew that was going to happen so it didn't bother me. I think next time i'll do chicken halves instead. That way i can crisp the skin. But doing the BCC was a lot of fun so i'm glad i tried it.

Great looking chicken Mike. What temp did you cook at? If your going l&s then cranking up the temp at the end can help crisp the skin. Also brining and then air drying the chicken in the fridge for a few hours will also help with the skin.

I cooked them with cold water in the water pan and the temp was around 230 for the cook. The first chicken finished at about 2 and half hours. The second chicken i got the temp bumped up to 315 for the last half hour to try and get the skin better.

I was expecting the chickens to take about 4 hours but they temp of the breast were at 165 at 2 and half hours.

Great looking chicken Mike! If you want your chicken crispier, then what I do is remove the water pan and let the smoker come up to as high as temp as you can. I will sometimes open the door a little to get temps up around 375 - 400 and it really works good if you butterfly the bird. I will also usually brine the day before to help with the moisture. I use to low n slow chicken but like you found that the skin was too rubbery, so tried it with just a drip pan the 1st time and then without one the second time. Mr. Lampe can also fill you in on some tricks on doing chicken on the smoker. Hope this helps!

Great looking birds. Yes my first few were that way too - rubbery skin. I now either butterfly or halve the birds (great tips by Chris on the web site).

Cook at 275. Then when close to being done, I just take the center off the WSM and put the grill right over the coals. Need to watch it because so close to the heat but flip often and the skin is great.

Back