Beer Can Chicken in Southeast Mexico

Natan Vazquez

Hello guys,this will be a tale of two chickensm beer can chickens that is.

First I would like to thank this board because you guys helped me to learn about the wood options for smoking the chickens.

Now onto the story,

- I decided to cook beer can chicken for some friends who had never heard of it,I have to say I had never cooked it and I was also very nervous on how they will turn out. For this I used two recipes, one was from Jamie Purviance and the other was from a Mexican Cook called Chucheman.

Purviance - Mostly a general rub that I put together following his recipe
Chucheman - Mustard and Spicy Sauce mixed and brushed on the chicken

For wood I used Apple and the beer of choice was XX Lager.By the way I did this on my Weber 18.5" OTS following the method mentioned on SPANEK METHODand it was perfect.

Photo 09-06-12 11 41 06 by natanvd, on Flickr

Photo 09-06-12 11 44 17 by natanvd, on Flickr

Photo 09-06-12 12 53 47 by natanvd, on Flickr

Photo 09-06-12 13 05 15 by natanvd, on Flickr

Photo 09-06-12 12 54 04 by natanvd, on Flickr

Photo 09-06-12 13 14 12 by natanvd, on Flickr

Beer Can Chicken by natanvd, on Flickr

Beer Can Chicken by natanvd, on Flickr

I was nervous but now I feel more confident to try it again, the friends at the party enjoyed the taste of the chickens and were complimenting my cooking. I will do try to master this basic recipe. Thank you all

Thank you guys for the comments.

Steve, I read the lining helps make the cleaning easier and indeed it was.

John, it is tile on my driveway, it used to be grass but here it rains so much that it was always a mess. It also helps cause its easier to set up a place to hold parties.

By the way, can anyone share a link where cutting a chicken in pieces is shown? I wanted to cut them but found no easy guidelines.

What a feast! Looks really tasty!

wsmsmile8gm.gif

Natan, which did you like better? What was the spicy sauce's brand name? How much mustard to spicey sauce? Man, that looks like some really good chicken.

Originally posted by JimH:
Natan, which did you like better? What was the spicy sauce's brand name? How much mustard to spicey sauce? Man, that looks like some really good chicken.

JimH, I could only taste one, the one with the rub, the other was over very quickly.

The spicy sauce is La Valentina and I think you can find it in Latino markets in USA. The ratio is 1 to 1 , here is the link to the video recipe it is in spanish but you will get the idea for sure Beer Can Chicken by Chucheman

Thanks for the comments

Originally posted by Bill W. Michigan:
I feel the best way to enjoy Beer Can Chicken is to continue to drink more beer while it is cooking. Good Job Natan.

I'm not sure if this link will help you on cutting up the chicken or not.

Alton Brown Cutting Chicken

Very useful vid Bill, I will cook agan on friday and will try to cut the chickens like this after they have been cooked.

Thanks

Back