Beef question

Tony R

TVWBB 1-Star Olympian
Maribel wants me to make broccoli and beef like they do in Chinese restaurants.

I was thinking of getting thin chuck steaks and cutting them into strips...would this be fine?

Or should I get a chunk of chuck roast and have the butcher slice thin?

Thank you for your time.

Myself i'd use neither of those and go with thin cut sirloin and have the butcher run it thru there tenderizer.

Bingo, we have a winner. I watch those fellows at the Wok when I go to a Chinese Restaurant. They are pulling meats out of a flat plastic bin behind them and it always looks pale or pre cooked whitish

Sirloin steak. Place it in the freezer for about 20 minutes to firm up a bit, then slice it as thin as you can. Sirloin is pretty lean and has a good beef flavor.

Tony, whatever you choose if you want that authentic Chinese flavor and texture definitely do the Velvet thing that James Mundy posted above. I've been doing that for quite awhile now and it does make all the difference in world.

Agreed... Sirloin yes. Flank yes. Roasts no. Theyd turn out too tuff. I know you California tony... This means we got pics coming our way right?

Hehe

Don't lift the lid...

Agreed... Sirloin yes. Flank yes. Roasts no. Theyd turn out too tuff. I know you California tony... This means we got pics coming our way right?

Hehe

Don't lift the lid...

For sure.

Maribel approved a purchase for a weber wok.

I made it for the 2nd time this week (twice in my life for that matter), first time I used skirt, today I used flank. Both were very good, but I preferred the skirt. Cut closely against the grain (1/4").

This is the recipe I used, from The Chinese Takeout Cookbook

1898821_10201543972983098_2132775764_o.jpg

I highly recommend this cookbook in case you haven't noticed! I've made 8 things from it..... it's a learning experience....delicious, and fun! I'm hoping to merge some of the stuff w/ bbq etc as I get better.

Bingo, we have a winner. I watch those fellows at the Wok when I go to a Chinese Restaurant. They are pulling meats out of a flat plastic bin behind them and it always looks pale or pre cooked whitish

It might be a corn starch coating? There's like 1 tsp in most of the marinades & sauces I've made up so far------really seems to make the meat brown nicely, of course that might be the thin hot carbon-steel wok too......should've seen the sear from some ground pork I did yesterday for dan dan noodles...holy sh!p (no cornstarch) The marinade pictured above keeps the meat pretty dark.....not whitish at all.

My choice will be a Flatiron steak or a chuck top-blade steak. They're both the same only the former is trimmed and ready for use whereas the latter has a strip of collagen running thru the middle and has to be removed (some places sell it silver-skin attached to its sides that also needs to be removed). Very tasty and tender.

Last edited:
I would consider beef tenderloin butterflied and pounded. I used it in a Cook's Illustrated recipe and it was pretty tasty.

Back