Beef Jerky

tmfast

TVWBB Super Fan
Can I make beef jerky on the WSM?
If so, can anyone send me some advice? What kind of meat, how thin, smoke wood, temps, water or foil, marinades, or anything I did not mention?
I am on short “staycation” and looking for something new to do.

If you can find the Good Eats episode online (maybe YouTube or Hulu), AB does a really good explanation. I would like to find time to try his way, but smoke and then use a food dehydrator.

Thanks for your reply Jon,
I don't have a dehydrator. I would see if I can do it all on the WSM.

From what I googled, it looks like the best way to do real jerky is with marinated flank steak using a dehydrator. I guess I can throw 40 bucks on one of those.
Thanks for your advice,

I've made it once on the WSM but it didn't turn out so well. I got the butcher to cut the meat for me and it was way too thick. I used either top or bottom round (can't remember). It took forever and still wasn't jerky consistency. I'd definitely do it again though...just haven't had the chance with the ever expanding to-do list.

I took an old coffee can and cut the bottom out of it to make a small charcoal ring.

IMG_2334.jpg

...and only used 3 lit for a mini-minion method.

IMG_2333.jpg

It has been forever since I did this and don't remember the specifics of the cook (did quite a bit of research before doing it but it has left my brain) but an educated guess would be.

1. Top round, bottom round, anything labeled london broil...I'd find whatever lean cut is on sale.

2. As thin as YOU can cut it...unless you have a better butcher than I used. < 1/4 inch.

3. I like oak for beef but probably any wood you have on hand.

4/5. You want low heat (if I remember correctly...I seem to remember 140 deg) so I'd say water in the pan would help but probably not necessary if you're used to running the WSM dry.

6. Marinade possibilities are literally endless. http://www.google.com/search?q...ial&client=firefox-a

Good luck! Let us know how it turns out and enjoy the staycation!!

For jerky try to find the leanest piece of meat that u can get ur hands on. The leaner the better less chance of going rancid.

Well,
I picked up a cheap Oster dehydrator at Wally world, just fired up a test batch now. Man this thing sounds like a vacuum cleaner in the kitchen. Yeh, I’m sure the WSM would have been a lot quieter!
I don’t know if I can listen to this thing for 4 -8 or more hours!!
Thank you all for your advice,

i have done beef jerky twice on my wsm... though i was able to keep temps at 150-160 grate temp for several hours the jerky was horrible... the first time i cooked it too long the second time i thought i was pulling it at the right time and it too was to hard... i would try it again but would have to get a smokin deal on some meat first......

Back