Beef Jerky on a smoker

a palombo

What is the shelf life for this stuff?

Should it be kept in a fridge?

After the initial marinade, does anyone put anything additional on to add flavor?

If it's thoroughly dried and cured with nitrites it should be shelf-stable at room temperature. I generally keep it in a bag in the fridge until it either grows mold or gets eaten up. The former never happens though.

I will often add cracked black or crushed red pepper after marinating if I want it to be extra spicy.

Embarrassed to say I found a bag on the top shelf in back of a bunch stuff a couple weeks ago. The date on the bag was 3/10.... No mold, a little brittle, delicious!
icon_biggrin.gif

With a typical brine and smoke , and no cure u should get 3 to 4 weeks in a freezer bag or a gallon jar (although I never can seem to keeps it around past 3 days)

I've read different advice and when I made it I didn't use Nitrates. The shelf life I decided might be right was 4 weeks.

I cut slits in a ziplock bag to prevent mold and kept it in the pantry. I only started with 2 lbs. of meat and my grandson ate the entire lot in about 10 days.

No worry about shelf life with him around.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by a palombo:
What is the shelf life for this stuff?

Should it be kept in a fridge?

After the initial marinade, does anyone put anything additional on to add flavor? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I've had it around for three weeks or so IIRC. It should last quite a while with no refrigeration as long as you've trimmed it well so there's no fat on it to go rancid. Putting it in the fridge will help it stay moist but there's always the chance it'll start swapping flavors with some of the other contents of the fridge, so seal it well when/if you put it in the fridge.

I use a fairly simple marinade with tomato sauce, molasses, raspberry jelly and chipotle powder; I don't use a rub or anything after taking it out of the marinade. It's too thin a piece of meat to use any rub or other coating on, to my tastes anyway.

Back