Beef Back Ribs

Mark Q

TVWBB Member

Today I attempted my first batch of beef back ribs. I cooked #4 racks at about 250 for about 4.5hrs. These weren't the meatiest ribs at a little over 2lbs/rack, but that's what I could find so that's what I cooked. I removed the membrane and rubbed them with the midnight cook pork butt rub with a little coriander thrown in for good measure. I used #3 chunks of hickory and #3 chunks of oak and fired the cooker using the minion method with about 40 lit coals to 1/2 ring of unlit. They were turned at the 3hr mark and sauced up at about the 4hr mark. I was quite pleased with the end result. The rub and smoke flavor were perfect and the sauce made them that much better. I should have left them on the cooker for another 1/2hr of so as they weren't fall off the bone tender. They weren't foiled either so maybe that would have made them more tender. There weren't any leftovers. I like these better than baby back or St. Louis pork ribs. I'm definitely going to do these again.

They look really good! It's hard to find them with enough meat on them to make worth it. Excellent job.

They look really good! It's hard to find them with enough meat on them to make worth it. Excellent job.

I know what you mean. These came from Price Chopper. The #4 racks cost about $25 which I didn't think was terribly outrageous. It was enough to fill #2 adults and one child. The ribs at our local restaurant supply store had even less meat on them. They still tasted good. You just have to make up for the lack of meat with more racks.

Back