BBQ3000 BabyBacks

Jim Lampe

TVWBB 1-Star Olympian
A nice rack of BBs from Sendik's completely covered with Penzey's BBQ3000 rub. Set-up the old 3-wheeler with ribs on to slow smoke'em.
After 90 minutes at 325-350'F... (tough to keep the temps down
icon_frown.gif
)
DSCN1931.jpg
DSCN1932.jpg

Wind picked-up and I wasn't prepared for it...
Temps inside the grill increased and the pork was done just after three hours...
DSCN1930.jpg
DSCN1940.jpg

Funky colour seepin' into the meat... That BBQ3000 certainly makes the ribs tender... but then I did drown the ribs with it.
These BBs were sooo good, eye 8 it all
icon_biggrin.gif

Thank you for your attention! Enjoy the evening
icon_smile.gif

jim, yer setup is all wrong!
icon_biggrin.gif
also you got to much coals going. on my three wheeler i set it up so that one wheel is under the coals and the others remain closed. also i use foil to cover the coal grate all the way up to the coals. i also use only about 1/3 of the coal grate for coals. i have the top vent open and use the lower vent to regulate. it usually is less than a 1/4 open. also make sure that the lower vent is upwind with the top vent over the meat and downwind. try that and see if it helps.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">These BBs were sooo good, eye 8 it all </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
There goes some of tomorrow's potential lunch,
again!
I know, Liz is gone and you're 'eetin' for two
icon_smile.gif

They appeared to be very good!!

Holy smokes Batman - those look great! I bought some of the BBQ3000 and took it to my folks. Used some on some chicken and it didn't light my fire. How did you like it on the ribs???? (BTW, if you're interested - I'm lovin' Weber's Kickin Chicken on da poultry!).

Great looking cookeration. How many could you get on the Ranch kettle!?

Pat

I was wondering if about BBQ9000...wonder how that would be on ribs..got a lot of that..what do you think?

I bet those were delicious. The peppers look good too. Sometimes, I like cooking baby backs at that temp. They can tolerate a wide range of cooking styles and temps... Especially nice meaty ones like you got there. Nice work.

Nice job on the ribs there Jim - You said you were going to do ribs today - I checked earlier and you hadn't posted. I thought you maybe changed your mind. Glad you didn't. Those are outstanding. thanks for sharing. Bob
wsmsmile8gm.gif

Thank you all!
icon_smile.gif

george, I'll try that next ribcook, but i do not quite understand the "foil to cover the coal grate all the way up to the coals"... you put the foil ON the coal grate UNDER the food portion? so the air from the single lower vent passes thru the coals only and then over the meat?
icon_confused.gif
help!

Hawkeye, Minneapolis to Raymond: 347 miles, 6 1/2 hours
icon_biggrin.gif

Bob, i thought about today's lunch as the last bone was dropped on the plate
icon_razz.gif
Liz returns late tonight, tomorrow I'll cook for two again.
Pat&Dennis, BBQ3000 is great stuff! i use it mostly on pork (ribs a lot and also on chops, not so much) and veggies.

Thanks again!

Those are mighty fine looking ribs, Mr. Lampe!! They look delicious! Wonder what turned them yellow/orange...Doesn't matter, Eye'd eet them all too!

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Don Cash:
Wonder what turned them yellow/orange... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>Thank you Don, butt i eight them oll up
icon_biggrin.gif

I think the rub got oll sucked up into the meat and that's what turnedum oll other weird colours.
Lemme tell ya tho', that's the first full rack of ribs eye 8 in over 10-15 years, ez!
icon_razz.gif

Jim:

Those are mighty good looking ribs. I can understand why you ate the whole rack yourself. I did the same thing with the ones I posted here the other day (Practice Ribs). Was planning to keep some for lunch the next day, but what ya gonna do????

My setup was very similar to yours and had a heck of time keeping the temps down. I think it was too much charcoal. Going to try about half as much on the next batch.

I noticed you had the probe in the ribs. What temp did you cook them to? Also, how long did you cook those peppers? They looked pretty tasty as well!

Jim

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Jim S (Shorty):I noticed you had the probe in the ribs. What temp did you cook them to? Also, how long did you cook those peppers? They looked pretty tasty as well! </div></BLOCKQUOTE> Thanks Jim. The probe was used to keep track of the temp on the grate. It may look like it was stuck in the ribs, butt it was not. I cook the ribs by looks and how easily they pull apart bone to bone.
The peppers are also grilled by looks... i like'm lookin' pretty much roasted/toasted.
icon_biggrin.gif

I think i got it george...
from this post....
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by george curtis:
chris, very similar to yer pic. my coal grate foil is wraped on the grate. i also have a doubled over piece of foil that i drape down from the top grate and rests on the coal grate. i drape it right at the seperation point between the lower foil and the coals. in yer pic it would be the bricks. thus i get no direct heat from the coals. i prefer to use my old kettle with the three vents. the one under the coals is adjusted for heat and the other two are closed. top vent over the food. down wind, natch. the one touch works just as well. i use a probe at grill level for the kettle temp and one in the meat. good to go. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Back