BBQ-ing nice brisket while doing taxes/taxforms...

ReynaldLee

Last weekend was tax-form-time, so that would make for an excellent moment to put some low n slow stuff ont the bbq while doing "boring stuff" ;)

Nice side-effect: i can finally use a freezer-compartment once i got that 10lb brisket out :oops:

Let it defrost in the fridge on wednesday and started trimming/rubbing saturdayevening:

IMG_0734.jpeg

Come sundaymorning firing up the bbq on a nice steady temp of 130°C (265°F) and getting the little piece of meat on there...

IMG_0736.jpeg

After about 2,5hrs, internal temp reached around 70°C (165°F), so time to wrap that badboy

IMG_0737.jpeg

After about another 2,5hrs internal temps reached (depending on where you probed) between 92-97°C (197-205°F) and nice and tender (like poking in a jar of peanutbutter). The real challenge (DONT TOUCH AND LET REST!!), even though it just smelled so good....🤤🤤🤤

The result after about 3hrs of resting:

IMG_0740.jpeg

IMG_0741.jpeg

IMG_0742.jpeg

OOF: yummmmm! Just cutting the meat was a happy experience, meat nice, juicy and "jiggly"

We didnt manage to finish it all, but that only means i'll be able to enjoy it the next couple of days for breakfast and lunch :)

Anyway: it was an enjoyable meal. Just a little nuisance when i had to attend the tax-forms instead of bbq-ing 😇

PS: it keeps surprising me HOW FAST a brisket is done: this one, 10lb minus 1lb trimmed-off fat, at a temp of 130°C (265°F) took 5hrs on the bbq. Shouldnt it take a lot longer? Or should i simple lower the temp on the bbq? And more to the point, will it actually change/improve the taste of the brisket (and other meats) if i leave it (for example) 10hrs on 110°C (230°F)? Would love to get some feedback on this point...

Last edited:
That did seem fast to me. Check the temp probes again. It does look perfect.
More to the point, that looks flat out great.
Some people go the other way and do a hot and fast.

I’m impressed with your cook times there. It’s hard to tell but your brisket looks mostly like a flat section with little to no point section.

A flat section does cook very quickly and the point is what takes much longer.

Cooking at 265°F is perfectly fine. So long as you stay under 275°F on a flat, you’re fine. I don’t think you’ll improve anything by going. 230°F except how many beers you can drink till she’s done.

Did this brisket have a point section? Please advise.

Either way, nice cook you’ve done here. Looks like you’ve mastered the WSK brisket challenge test. Cheers!

Looks like a good one to me, remember the old saw, “Barbecue will be done when it’s finished.”
Every cook is different and need to be treated and enjoyed as such. Have a good time with the refund!

Looks like a good one to me, remember the old saw, “Barbecue will be done when it’s finished.”
Every cook is different and need to be treated and enjoyed as such. Have a good time with the refund!

Why does everybody assume i'll get a refund? :oops: But then again, as a wise man once told me: "better to be "bummed out" by the fact you have to pay lots of (income)tax, than to earn so little you dont pay taxes at all...." So i'll consider taxes a "luxury-problem", much easier to get through life that way :cool:

I'll start living by the the motto “Barbecue will be done when it’s finished.”, sounds like decent advice :)

I’m impressed with your cook times there. It’s hard to tell but your brisket looks mostly like a flat section with little to no point section.

A flat section does cook very quickly and the point is what takes much longer.

Cooking at 265°F is perfectly fine. So long as you stay under 275°F on a flat, you’re fine. I don’t think you’ll improve anything by going. 230°F except how many beers you can drink till she’s done.

Did this brisket have a point section? Please advise.

Either way, nice cook you’ve done here. Looks like you’ve mastered the WSK brisket challenge test. Cheers!

There was definitely a point: that was also the part that was devoured first by family... This was in fact the first "wholepacker" i've done. Up until now all i've done was "only-flat"

Ah well, bottom line is, I, and the rest of the fam, thoroughly enjoyed what came out of the bbq, so there's that... Just curious since i always expect and budget more time for brisket, and it's always "to early" compared to expectations (thats what she said...)

Tnx for feedback anyways all!

Why does everybody assume i'll get a refund? :oops: But then again, as a wise man once told me: "better to be "bummed out" by the fact you have to pay lots of (income)tax, than to earn so little you dont pay taxes at all...." So i'll consider taxes a "luxury-problem", much easier to get through life that way :cool:

I'll start living by the the motto “Barbecue will be done when it’s finished.”, sounds like decent advice :)

There was definitely a point: that was also the part that was devoured first by family... This was in fact the first "wholepacker" i've done. Up until now all i've done was "only-flat"

Ah well, bottom line is, I, and the rest of the fam, thoroughly enjoyed what came out of the bbq, so there's that... Just curious since i always expect and budget more time for brisket, and it's always "to early" compared to expectations (thats what she said...)

Tnx for feedback anyways all!
I did a 4# point pastrami yesterday in 4.5 hours. A 10# brisket is, in the USA, a “small” packer. My usual smallest packer is 13-14#. I usually do an 18# for larger gatherings. The large ones take around 8-9 hours cook time on the WSK. So your times still appear within reason.

I did a 4# point pastrami yesterday in 4.5 hours. A 10# brisket is, in the USA, a “small” packer. My usual smallest packer is 13-14#. I usually do an 18# for larger gatherings. The large ones take around 8-9 hours cook time on the WSK. So your times still appear within reason.
Everything's bigger in America... ;)

Tnx for your reference-points!

Utrecht is a city in the Netherlands, known for its medieval center. It has tree-lined canals, Christian monuments and a venerable university.

That is one good looking cook.
It sure looks tasty.

That brisket cut is different than the ones I’m used to.
Where I’m at the smaller weight briskets normally have a real skinny flat.
I don’t see that here so I’m guessing the butcher did you a solid.
Can I ask what that cut usually costs where you are at?

Taxes suck.
We normally owe a few hundred dollar’s and write that check at the required time.
This year was different and we had to cut a large check.
I hope you did better than me on this.

That is one good looking cook.
It sure looks tasty.

That brisket cut is different than the ones I’m used to.
Where I’m at the smaller weight briskets normally have a real skinny flat.
I don’t see that here so I’m guessing the butcher did you a solid.
Can I ask what that cut usually costs where you are at?

Taxes suck.
We normally owe a few hundred dollar’s and write that check at the required time.
This year was different and we had to cut a large check.
I hope you did better than me on this.
Brisket (choice) goes for around 23€/kg, so about 11.50$/lb in the netherlands.

A few questions if you might:
  1. What charcoal did you use?
  2. Smoking wood?
  3. Drip pan with no water, correct?
  4. Rub?
Looks fantastic!

Talk about being trimmed
dont rub it in man....

A few questions if you might:
  1. What charcoal did you use?
  2. Smoking wood?
  3. Drip pan with no water, correct?
  4. Rub?
Looks fantastic!

1) Used (regular) weber briquettes
2) Cherry (yes i know, it's quite "light", smokewood is something i've still got to get a feel for and learn/play with)
3) I just let it drip on my (foilwrapped) deflectorplate, and no water as you stated
4) A coffee-cocoa rub i saw online:
1 cup Brown Sugar​
¼ cup Ground Coffee​
¼ cup Cocoa Powder​
3 TBSP Kosher Salt​
3 TBSP Cracked Black Pepper​
1 TBSP Paprika​
1 TBSP Chili Powder​

Back