bbq books

bert imbrechts

I'm from Belgium and it's almost impossible to find really good bbq books here.
My Question: Which book or books (of amazon) are really "books you got to have". I want to order some really good books about brisket, boston buts,... The american style.
What do you recommend?
Thanks,
Bert

Peace,Love, and BBQ is a good book if you are looking for some history along with recipes. I also have Dr.BBQ's Bigtime book, as well Raichlens BBQ Bible and Grilling. I have heard good things about BBQ USA.

Paul

My top two picks are Steven Raichlen's BBQ USA, and Mike Mills' Peace, Love, and Barbecue.

Both are full of info, stories, profiles of people and places, recipes.

I have a few others, but those are the two I use frequently, and keep going back to for more.

I recommend this book:

Dinosaur Bar-B-Que An American Roadhouse

every recipe I've tried has been great. Its more of a book about sides and bbq-type entrees but there's bbq recipes and great sauce and rub recipes too.

I suppose not being from usa might not put you in a position to be experimental with your bbq, but if you are I recommend this book:

Marinades, Rubs, Brines, Cures, & Glazes: Revised And Expanded (Paperback)

I second:

smoke and spice
peace love and bbq
bbq bible

thanks for the thread, I've been meaning to see what others have been reading.

Mastering the Grill. It has a lifetime of recipes and lots of good Kevin Kruger type information about spices, chiles, cuts of meats etc.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Dale Perry:
Dr BBQ Bigtime BBQ </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
That one is my favorite.
icon_smile.gif

Thanks everybody,
I've ordered by Amazon:
- Dr BBQ bigtime bbq
- peace, love and bbq
- Smoke & spice
- Dinosaur Bar-B-Que.
They will be in Belgium in 4 days. Can't wait to experiment.
Thanks,
Bert

I recommend just staying on this site. There are tons of recipes from these people that rival any cookbook I've seen.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Dave L.:
I recommend just staying on this site. There are tons of recipes from these people that rival any cookbook I've seen. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Yes this site is great, one of the best ones on the net... you still need books though. I read cooking books for ideas and inspiration, but never follow the recipes. I use them as a source of ideas and information then just make it my own. Gotta have some good books in the house.
icon_wink.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by LarryR:
Mastering the Grill. It has a lifetime of recipes and lots of good Kevin Kruger type information about spices, chiles, cuts of meats etc. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I will second "Mastering the Grill" it is outstanding.

Weber's Big Book of Grilling
Weber's Charcoal Grilling

mastering the grill is a great book, my daughter gave it to me for christmas last year. it doesn't have much about barbequeing in it, but there is tons of usefull info in it.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by j biesinger:
I recommend this book:

Dinosaur Bar-B-Que An American Roadhouse

every recipe I've tried has been great. Its more of a book about sides and bbq-type entrees but there's bbq recipes and great sauce and rub recipes too.

I suppose not being from usa might not put you in a position to be experimental with your bbq, but if you are I recommend this book:

Marinades, Rubs, Brines, Cures, & Glazes: Revised And Expanded (Paperback)

I second:

smoke and spice
peace love and bbq
bbq bible

thanks for the thread, I've been meaning to see what others have been reading. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Thanks for the two books. I just ordered them from Amazon of course through the link here(I am such a suck up)

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Thanks for the two books. I just ordered them from Amazon of course through the link here(I am such a suck up) </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

does Chris get a kick back from amazon when we link to it here?

let me know what you think of the tarantino book. Its a bit intimidating at first (just a big book of elements, with some suggestion of how to put it all together), but I've used in conjunction with other recipes (raichlen's: bbq bible) and had some interesting outcomes.

chinatown ribs

moroccan lamb

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by j biesinger:
does Chris get a kick back from amazon when we link to it here? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yes. Support TVWB by Shopping Amazon.Com

Along with direct donations, this is how Chris pays for the operating costs of this site.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by bert imbrechts:
My Question: Which book or books (of amazon) are really "books you got to have". </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Bert check out this thread on Informational Cookbooks.

Back