bbq books

peace love and bbq is definitely THE book for me, covering concept, history, method, recipes, styles, etc.
also, smokestack lightnin' is my second favorite. i'm surprised no one else mentioned it.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by bert imbrechts:
Thanks everybody,
I've ordered by Amazon:
- Dr BBQ bigtime bbq
- peace, love and bbq
- Smoke & spice
- Dinosaur Bar-B-Que.
They will be in Belgium in 4 days. Can't wait to experiment.
Thanks,
Bert </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

You ordered some great books, PLB is one of my favorites, but IMO no bbq library is complete without a book by steve raichlen. My personal favorite is The BBQ Bible. In this book, raichlen travels the world bringing us the best bbq/grill recipes. These Recipes are unique, from a stall in a meat market in pakistan to the best jerk chicken in jamaica. When possible, I try to visit some of these restaurants on my travels.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">smokestack lightnin' is my second favorite. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

its a good take on the southern bbq scene, but I can't say that I've cooked much from it.

the book had a sad feel to it as the author seemed to lament the loss of traditional bbq restaurants as they moved aside for ones with more modern kitchens. I wonder if that trend continues today. As far as my location is concerned, we are getting more and better joints popping up all the time.

Are there any books devoted solely to the grill itself, a book that discusses various types of grills, history of the grill, etc? Not a cook book?

I got "Barbecue America" from the library the other day. Like Bryan S. ,I only use them for inspiration. There are great recipes,plus a story about the history of all the big comps! Good stuff!
icon_smile.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Are there any books devoted solely to the grill itself, a book that discusses various types of grills, history of the grill, etc? Not a cook book? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Raichlen's BBQ Bible has plenty of informative stories peppered throughout the recipes. I learned a lot about traditional bbq and grilling in other countries. I cant say that its exactly historical but a run down of all the traditions around the world is a good start.

My Sister, Brother in Law, Niece and Nephew just gave me 2 more cook books today. They got me "Extreme BBQ" and Weber's "Real Grilling" After a quick look,
The Extreme Grilling book looks fantastic, and it tells storries along with the recipes. Link to Amazon.

Back