BB vs. Spareribs... I'm torn... :-)

I like both but spares are a bargain. Spares have more flavor imho. I have cooked piles of both ribs at parties and observe all the guest going for the BBs and I cant understand why.

I vote spares as well. They cost less, they're meatier, and once you learn to trim them (someone already posted that link) they're no problem at all. I snack on the flaps from trimming while the ribs are still cooking, and lots of folks like the tips too....just more work to chew the meat off.

IMHO, backs are WAY too expensive for the amount of meat you get on them.

You guys gave ALL my reasons for cooking spares - and Dale posted my most important reason - they are more flavorful

When I cook spares..Im like...yup..spares are def my favorite. But...when I do BB's Im like...yeah BBs are my fav. Its a tie..both have there own points.

Give the spares a try I think you will like em. After I’ve trimmed them, I smoke the extra meat and use it in BBQ beans or make chili or give it to the kids as they always ask “what are you going to do with those extra pieces?” Mostly just have fun and enjoy!

I'm actually gonna do up some spares today for the first time....

I've been a BB boy for along time.
wsmsmile8gm.gif

It's all about what you like. The BB are nice and easy, but the spares do give you a meater rib. I couldn't decide myself...so today it's three racks of each...a little prep for the big game tomorrow.
Let us know how you like the spares Mark.
Enjoy
David

I used to do back ribs only. After trying spares many years ago I haven't gone back!

BB's are so much easier to prep. You literally remove them from the packaging, remove the membrane and rub - a couple of minutes. Spares take far more time to prep, but it is definitely worth the effort. The flavor and texture of the meat are, in my opinion, far superior to a BB. I did a cook last summer and was asked to cook some BB's. They were just OK, but didn't hold a candle to the spares I cooked along with them.

This whole BBQ thing is really about personal choices and preferences. Some use foil, purists say it is cheating. Some trim, some don't. Unless you're competing or selling your product, the end result has to please you and only you (and your family). I try different things just for the sake of learning. When I find something I like better that what I am producing now I change my methods. It's an ever-evolving hobby that constantly changes as you learn more. The key is to have a good time doing it!

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Bryan S:
I used to do spares now I only do BB's. I'm into easy these days and that's why I like the BB's. Open up the cryo vac pac and take out the 3 racks of BB's. Take off membrane and sprinkle with rub. From start to finish and onto the WSM about 5-6 min. Spares IMO are a PITA. They have all the wierd small bones and cartilage in them, I hate it when I bite into that stuff. BB's are easy and no hidden surprises. Anywho good luck with the spares cook. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Frankly Bryan says it well about the differences. I don't find the small bones a problem at all since they are soft and if you are a "grizzle person" not an issue form . But that is only the tips. The main rib on the spare rack has none of that. So have the butcher (if you don't want to do it yourself) cut the tips off and prep the ribs for you St. Louis style. They are pretty much then just larger meatier BB's that take a little longer to cook, but oh so good. Just cook the tips seperate, you can save them for chilli. Myself, I don't mind them at all and they probably won't make it to the chilli
icon_smile.gif

Another vote for spares... a little more work to trim them into STL but they are meatier and tastier.

It's just like steak. You have those that enjoy ribeyes more than a porterhouse. Those that prefer new york strip to filet. Those that like sirloin to round.

And all of them vice-versa, depending on how they are prepared.

My preference? I'll deviate from the masses here. I don't have a problem paying $2.50 - $ 4.50 / lb for baby backs, because I enjoy them immensely.

Hello Jeff and welcome to the club.

Just for fun, BBs and Spares are like White Castles & Whoppers and I like em both but the whopper has more meat.
icon_razz.gif

For competition it's 100% spares.
At the restaurant it's 100% spares 11 months a year. One month a year we do a ribfest.
For cooking school I do both and most (90%+)students prefer spares after eating the back ribs first.

For me BB are like Filet Mignon lacking in flavor whiles spares are like a Ribeye packed with flavor.

Konrad, that is a perfect way to desribe the difference. I have to admit that I used to think BBs were better until I figured out how to cook Spares. To each their own and thats great. Enjoying BBQ is whats important.

Paul, things are starting to heat up on THE project. I think Im pushing my friends too much but its getting there. I will Email you later.

Anyone buy fresh "spares"? all around here are frozen in a 2 to 3 slabs package. Sure would love to find them "fresh", not frozen.
They're on sale this week for $1.19. I prefer the spares also. Never cooked many BBs.

I am with bryan. Back ribs, turn them over pull the membrane. Flip them over dust them you are done. I can do a pack of 3 in just a few minutes.

I did make my first spares last year. I liked them but lots of work. I cut that cartlage off but when doing the cutting I wasn't sure what I was supposed to be doing. I didn't like chewing on the pieces that I didn't get to the bone close enough. That and a 3 pack took me close to 45 minutes to trim up. That was my first time trimming up spares and I am sure I could do it a bit faster having one under my belt. For me it is worth the extra cost t bypass all that work. Heck when you buy ribs by the case at sams there is usually a good bit of price difference. There was a couple of times last summer when the case price was 70 cents a pound cheaper than buying a 3 pack. That is how I like to save my money.
icon_biggrin.gif

Back