basic dry rub

Sandy Mac

when using a dry rub on say chicken can it be left on over night to allow the flavors to penetrate and can the same be used on ribs ie overnight regards sandy

Basic rubs can certainly be left on overnight, you just have to use care when you have spicy rubs, when left on too long, they can take over. If you want some amazing chicken or ribs, consider doing a brine. Once you brine, you'll never not

In my experience, I brine foods that are prone to drying out and rub all others.

My basic brine:

1/2 gallon vegetable stock (low sodium)
1/2 gallon apple juice
1 cup kosher salt
1 cup brown sugar
3 bay leaves
2 onions (roughly cut)
2 stalks celery
2 Tbl black peppercorns

My basic rub:

2 parts black pepper
2 parts cayenne pepper
2 parts chili powder
2 parts paprika
2 parts onion powder
2 parts garlic powder
2 parts kosher salt (omit if brined)
2 parts brown sugar
1 part white sugar

Basic rubs can certainly be left on overnight, you just have to use care when you have spicy rubs, when left on too long, they can take over. If you want some amazing chicken or ribs, consider doing a brine. Once you brine, you'll never not

You brine ribs? I never knew anybody to do that. Never thought about that before.

I dry brine poultry and meat. Just sprinkle with salt and let it sit for a few hours. Overnight is even better. It makes a world of difference to texture, juiciness, and flavor.

If your rub has salt in it, you can use that as your dry brine. Hence one of the reasons that people let their meat sit over night with the rub.

I dry brine poultry and meat. Just sprinkle with salt and let it sit for a few hours. Overnight is even better. It makes a world of difference to texture, juiciness, and flavor.

If your rub has salt in it, you can use that as your dry brine. Hence one of the reasons that people let their meat sit over night with the rub.

Yup. I used to wet brine but after seeing a dry salt brine demonstrated on America's Test Kitchen I tried it and have never wet brined again. The salt alone works great for helping with moisture and flavor without messing with the texture that I experienced while using a wet brine.

It seems to me that stuff tastes better when I rub them and refrigerate overnight. But usually my cooks are more impulsive than that.

If you're leaving a rub on overnight I would greatly minimize the amount of salt in the rub so as not to draw out a lot moisture from the meat.

Back