Barbecuing on a wood deck

Jim Morrell

Getting ready to move into a new house with a huge wooden deck that's about 6 feet above the backyard. Other than the grass, there's really no where else to set up my WSM. Do other folks ever use the WSM on a wood deck? Are there precautions you take? Was thinking I could set up some stone tiles in a corner and do it on top of that. Or best just to avoid it altogether?

There are several threads about this. I have my WSM on a platform of pavers on my wooden deck and do overnight cooks on it. There's always a small risk doing unattended cooks on a deck, but I feel pretty safe.

i do all my grilling on a wooden deck.

i've done several smokes on the deck too; however my smoker is currently in the garage. I pull it out into the driveway to smoke.

I plan on putting it back on the deck soon and leaving it there until I move to a new house.

Jim,

I grill and BBQ on my wood deck with all my Webers. I have my WSM on one of these:

Grill Pad

It keeps any moisture or ashes that may leak out of the bottom vents from getting on the wood.

Mark

I 'Q on my deck regularly with a gasser and a kettle. Got a rather large, metal oil drip pan at WalMart which the grills sit on when they are fired up.

I feel comfortable with this setup and have had no problems in twenty plus years..........

In Florida I have the smoker and grill on a wood deck. No grill pad or pavers or stones. No problems (heat rises). However, no place to put the hot lid down if my grill table is occupied. Get a grill pad, drip pan or pavers/tiles/whatever as others have noted above.

At the end of the day, one should never smoke or grill on their wodden deck, but we've all done it or would. The fact that you even asked the question shows how obvious it is that this is a fire hazard. So be careful and take it serious because it is. Quick access to water or a fire extinguisher would be best. Keeping an eye on the grill is important too, but the overnighter becomes a problem. The one thing I did when on wood is be very careful with the chimney. You need to set up so you're not dropping hot coals on your deck. Once the coals are in the grill or smoker, they are under much better control.

Be careful.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Gary Hodgin:
I don't have a wooden deck but I put my WSM on this large oil drain pan. It's probably big enough for 2 of the 18.5" WSMs. Nice place to set the lid.

http://www.walmart.com/search/...straint=0&se=endeca& </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

That's what I use.

I use a grill pad and for an overnight cook I'd use a maverick to be alerted of any changes.

I use all of my grills/smokers on a wood deck exclusively, but it's my only choice. I have an oil drip pan that I use under the WSM and always light my chimney in the charcoal tray of the kettle. And there's a hose quite close and a fire extinguisher 20 steps away should something awful happen.

My only other advice is to pay close attention to falling coals when dumping your chimney. I have a few marks in my deck from the little fragments falling out, and have learned to use only new, whole briquettes on the bottom of the chimney.

Thank you all. This is all great advice. Even on a brick patio I only light my chimney in the bowl of the grill or smoker. Will just need to invest in some deck coverings and a good fire extinguisher.

Hey, Jim and welcome. As said, you can find a lot more on this with a "search", but you've gotten good replies. I use a Grill Pad myself (a rectangular one 30x36") and consider it to be critical. I can show you earlier scorch marks on my deck from errant coals and from when I set my chimney on a stainless plate to start. And don't assume you'll see that small coal the falls to the side.

Any grill pad MUST be FIREPROOF -- a drip pad is not sufficient. The biggest issue to me remains the point where you empty the burning coals into the WSM. Just too many freak things could go wrong. Extra care is always of utmost importance. (Ever have a little dog jump at you as you're bending to empty the chimney? The unexpected remains unexpected.)

Rich

What size WSM Jim?
If it's an 18.5" You can get one of these @ HD.
5624915013_7baa89c322_z.jpg

Thats a Behrens 17 gal wash tub you could grab in the cleaning aisle for about 18 bucks.
Its tall enough to block the lower vents from any hot ash/coals falling out and works as a nifty wind shield also.
When not in use on a day cook flip it over and you can place the lid or mid-section on with out staining you're deck.

Tim

Super idea Tim!
Behrens stuff is USA made too, as I recall.

Liking the Red Wing crock, my wife and I collect stoneware.
Or did until we accumulated too much.

Thank's Bob.
I've had that #3 and a #2 for about 30yrs. Never gave it much thought as they would be collectible.
icon_smile.gif

Tim

Any issues with getting the temps up? Seems pretty tight but it looks like a very safe option

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by timothy:
What size WSM Jim?
If it's an 18.5" You can get one of these @ HD.
5624915013_7baa89c322_z.jpg

Thats a Behrens 17 gal wash tub you could grab in the cleaning aisle for about 18 bucks.
Its tall enough to block the lower vents from any hot ash/coals falling out and works as a nifty wind shield also.
When not in use on a day cook flip it over and you can place the lid or mid-section on with out staining you're deck.

Tim </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Back