Bad Charcoal?

Bryon Piequet

TVWBB Fan
So I have been using my 18.5 smoker since June 2011, have about 30 sucessful smokes under my belt with no issues, UNTIL and last two. My smoker is well seasoned and generally I run the bottom vents at 25% open with the top 100% open. On the last couple smokes I could not seem to maintain 225 on the dome thermo, unless I took the door off? I started as always with the minion method, ( I use Kingsford Blue).

I had the bottom vent open 100% and the temps were around 195-205. I keep the Kingsford in a wood shed in the backyard as well as in plastic trash cans. It is cooler here now, but I do live in So. CA so it's pretty much low humidity year round. Bad Charcoal?? My other thought was my dome thermometer is not reading correctly as there is so much coating on the probe end so it's showing a lower temp than it really is?

Any suggestions?

Was the bag from a new batch or the older stash that gave you zero issues'
Is the shed on a concrete slab or wood floor?

Tim

Easy enough to check the thermometer. Boil some water, take off the lid and there's some kind of a thing you can unscrew on the back of the thermometer to take it off. Stick it in the boiling water. Should read 212. Mine started reading about 10 degrees after a couple of years so you never know.

Actually we have rain and cold temps. It's weird all I use is blue, I have to keep the bottom vent 3/4 closed to stay at 225-230, I did some ribs yesterday and was at 235 for 4 hours but the bottom vents were 100% open. I will try some from the 20lb bags next weekend.

Are you saying you keep the Kingsford in plastic cans outside? I stored some Trader Joe's hardwood briquettes in a grilling bin outside that was under an overhang, so it didn't get directly wet and was pretty well sealed in there. When I went to use the bag, it had turned into crap instead of lighting quickly. Burnt slow and I couldn't get high temps and left a bad taste on my food. Now I store my charcoal inside the garage and it's fine. I would think the shed would be fine (but I bow to the shed experts). But I wouldn't put it in a plastic garbage bin outside. My experience, anyway.

Laura

Try buying a couple of inexpensive oven thermometers(two different kinds if they have two) at the grocery store and put them on the cooking grate to check temp there. Most likely your grate temp is 25-50 degrees hotter than your dome temp. Good luck! BTW I along with others on the forum have been having excessive smoke issues with Kingsford blue lately as well. I bought some Stubb's at Lowes to try this weekend.

Are you saying you keep the Kingsford in plastic cans outside? I stored some Trader Joe's hardwood briquettes in a grilling bin outside that was under an overhang, so it didn't get directly wet and was pretty well sealed in there. When I went to use the bag, it had turned into crap instead of lighting quickly. Burnt slow and I couldn't get high temps and left a bad taste on my food. Now I store my charcoal inside the garage and it's fine. I would think the shed would be fine (but I bow to the shed experts). But I wouldn't put it in a plastic garbage bin outside. My experience, anyway.

Laura

...and my experience mirrors Laura's. Charcoal briquettes soak up humidity something terrible, and while I have a stash in the shed, I try to keep what I need in the house.

I will move it to the house. Yes I store it outside in plastic 33 gal trash can with a lid. It's in the original bag. I think it must be all the rain we had. So what are the odds it will dry out in the spring?

I keep mine in a temp controlled storage unit I rent for all my excess tools and horse equipment. I just bring it home as needed as I heard moisture in a shed can get in it over time also. I keep mine in a Rubbermaid storage container till I use it and that helps keep it dry in the shed.

Last edited:
Ok, I have done a few smokes with new kings for blue and I am still having issues getting the heat to 250. I use water, pan filled 1/3 to 1/2. 3/4 filled charcoal pan. All vents wide open. I am wondering if mine just seals up too well? My lid temp sits at 12 o'clock, about 235 but a few hrs in I see the temp dropping a bit. I checked the calibration of the thermostat and its dead on at 212 in boiling water. Very strange. I just ordered a cyberQ Kit as I am figuring the stoker will help.

Kingsford oriinal has always given me issues because of the excessive binders and ash, but If I was going to use it I might try the "coffee can method".

Oh yeah....sure, the stoker should do the job. Works for Harry Soo and I'm sure it will work for you. I don't understand how the fan won't blow ash up on the meat and cause an uneven burn across the ring, but I'm sure foiling helps with that.

Back